Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Air-Way Vacuum - The visionaries, the innovations, the back stories, the lawsuit[s]...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Air-Way Vacuum - The visionaries, the innovations, the back stories, the lawsuit[s]...
Original Message   Jan 20, 2009 6:02 pm
Please contribute what you know of Air-Way’s innovative past...

Replies: 6 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Air-Way Vacuum - The visionaries, the innovations, the back stories, the lawsuit[s]...
Reply #6   Jan 21, 2009 2:57 pm
Hardsell,

Believe it or not, I like all good ideas/life changing ideas, and I enjoy viewing the old artistic patent drawings too.  Also I like to know the ages of the many components of today's vacuums and/or see how much/how little they have evolved, etc.  And other reasons too.

DIB

Trebor

Re: Air-Way Vacuum - The visionaries, the innovations, the back stories, the lawsuit[s]...
Reply #7   Jan 21, 2009 3:14 pm
Thanks, I had forgotten the Tandem air system. They used Hamilton Beach uprights, and then Eurekas, with a wand assembly replacing the handle.

I think with agressive marketing to vac shops as a preferred line, Air-Way could have thrived. There is a renewed interest in canisters, to say the least. People are walking into vac shops and plunking down a credit card for a Miele Caprocorn at 1200.00 a pop!  Miele is an excellent vacuum, with plenty of innovative engineering, but it still is a plastic, German-made product. Miele says they expect a 20 life span out of their machines. You can find Air-Way machines 80 years old that run. I think the entire airway line could have been reproduced and sold today, profitably, but at a reasonable cost. Lots of folks still will buy American if given the opportunity.

Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #8   Jan 22, 2009 3:28 pm

DysonInventsBig wrote:

Anyone know...
Who invented or married a dedicated motor to a brushroll?  - Was it Airway, Hoover or another?

Here's one of at least 3 powernozzle designs, intended to be used in conjuction with a central vacuum system, patented by Hoover in September 1919. I don't know if this is actually the first dedicated brush-roll motor, but it's certainly an early one:

DIB - Many Air-Way patents are filed under the name D. B. Replogle. Hope this helps!

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
DysonInventsBig

Reply #9   Jan 22, 2009 3:44 pm
Model2,

I gotta tell you... it is refreshing to see others post patents.  Patents are King and tell an accurate story too.  I’ll be taking a closer look at your/the patents posted when I have more time.  Thanks!

DIB
This message was modified Jan 22, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

Reply #10   Jan 29, 2009 4:45 am
Model2,

Many thanks for the Air-Way inventors name! I never would have found this company or its inventor without your help.  He was a “golden goose”, his creativity has generated billions for others.  Although I cannot understand why Air-Way believed in product that did not fold up like a typical upright, it was brutal to store.  Many great individual parts (innovations), placed on a terrible platform.
DIB
This message was modified Jan 29, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 6 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42