Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Bissell Pet Hair Eraser vs. Sebo X4

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
jrw14493

Bissell Pet Hair Eraser vs. Sebo X4
Original Message   Dec 15, 2008 7:38 pm
My grandma is looking at the Pet Hair eraser because of her shedding Mainecoone and calico cats. She has a Sebo X4 now, but wants the pet hair eraser for the pet hair erasing that it says it does. Is it worth moving down from the Sebo to the Pet Hair Eraser? What's the filter like in the bin of the Pet Hair Eraser? Does the brushroll stop when the handle goes up? All info/comments regarding the Pet Hair Eraser welcomed. Thank you!
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Venson

Re: Bissell Pet Hair Eraser vs. Sebo X4
Reply #1   Dec 15, 2008 9:38 pm
Hi,

Just for clarity's sake, is the Sebo not doing well at cleaning up cat fur and in what situations? I ask because the Sebo has had a pretty good rep for a long time.  If the Sebo is not meeting the challenge, of course there is a serious fault and a possible need for change. However, it being a relatively expensive machine, I'd want to squeeze all my dollars spent out of it.

I have seen the "pet hair eraser"  in the stores and was not impressed.  The name is mostly about a liftable bar that has a covering on it of the same substance used to make up lint collecting strips on many straight suction rug nozzles and I would well assume that cleaning this piece will prove a pain in the neck.  Further -- any GOOD upright should be able to pick up surface litter like lint and fur without the need for added on doo-dads. As for the attachments, if you grandmother does not already have a turbo nozzle -- if that's what she's interested in -- it can be ordered from Sebo or she can probably find a generic model that works with her machine.

Per Consumer Reports the Pet Hair Eraser scored 61 out of a possible 100.  It rated as "'very good" for carpet cleaning and "excellent" for pet hair and "good" in all other areas.  I would note that uprights with higher ratings were all also excellent at handling pet fur without the addition of add-ons to do the job.

To help you better understand the machine I have tagged on the URL for the cleaner's user guide.

http://www.bissell.com/images/UserGuides/3920_907.pdf

Sebo, though opposite the bagged Bissell you're thinking on, has many practical features and weighs about three to four punds less than the 21 pound Pet Hair Eraser. I also attach a URL for its manual.

http://www.sebo-vacuums.com/frameset.htm?dir=Products

Hope that helps,

Venson

This message was modified Dec 15, 2008 by Venson
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #2   Dec 15, 2008 10:08 pm
Here are my thoughts based on the machine.  The Bissell is really a rather ridiculous idea, and very poorly engineered.  The whole idea of the pet hair thing in front of the vacuum's nozzle is stupid, the brushroll and airflow should have the ability to remove the hair, if they don't then the machine, in my opinion is garbage.  Second, these machines tend to clog up on pet hair in this small space before the pre-motor filter.  THe pet hair should not have made it that far to begin with...  I have seen these ome in for repair enough times to know that it is a gimmick, and a lousy one at that.

The Sebo should be doing a great job on the pet hair (even if for some reason it isn't, it is doing better that the Bissell would any day).  If the Sebo isn't doing as well as it should, check it out and make sure it is working correctly, if it is, and is not picking the hair up well, maybe its time for a different vacuum.  In that case I would  suggest looking at something like a Tandem Air machine.  But based on my experience with that clear X4 I have, it does do very well on pet hair.
Trebor

Reply #3   Jan 17, 2009 4:53 pm
Hello? Maybe the brushroll needs replacing? Maybe grandma doesn't have the suction tube firmly in its socket? How old is grandma, how old is the Sebo? Maybe a simple checkup is all the unit needs to perform as it should. Replace a Sebo with a Bissell, Please!
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42