Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Article thoughts? - 'High Efficiency' Vacuum Cleaners No Better At Protecting Against Dust Mites

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
techphet

Article thoughts? - 'High Efficiency' Vacuum Cleaners No Better At Protecting Against Dust Mites
Original Message   Aug 1, 2008 12:01 am
Is anyone familiar with this article? 

I'm wondering what vacuums they used in the study.

Tech
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vernon

Re: Article thoughts? - 'High Efficiency' Vacuum Cleaners No Better At Protecting Against Dust Mites
Reply #1   Aug 1, 2008 12:53 am
Interesting!!  But when we see what the rest of the articles are saying on the same page, is it an oxymoron??  Whom do we believe??
Venson

Re: Article thoughts? - 'High Efficiency' Vacuum Cleaners No Better At Protecting Against Dust Mites
Reply #2   Aug 1, 2008 2:44 am
Hi,

What I am going to say will sound absolutely off the wall BUT . . .

However or whatever you are inclined to believe regarding the manner of our origin, creationwise that is, I think we may agree that just about everything living has an obvious job and purpose.  This only becomes a confused issue when we think on works of mankind.

Dust mites aren't going anywhere unless you take away the work they've been designed to do and/or food they need to survive.  Too small to be seen by the naked eye, they feed on the dead skin cells we shed daily.  They're just one more part of God's clean up crew -- just like the species of vultures naturally designed to help in the eradication of the remains of the fallen and dead.

Dust mite have been with us all along like the host of bacteria in our surrounds that help or hinder us.  The problem is balance.  Too much or too little of any number of things can lead to problems. Oddly enough, these little bugs' little lives last only up to ten to twenty days, per the information I've gathered, but can be found in numbers near the tens of thousand in a single square of carpet.

Those seriously bothered, physically or otherwise, by the existence of these little critters in their homes need to take measures well beyond simply vacuuming -- HEPA filter or not.  Use mattress covers or fitted sheets as mattress covers if you have a limited budget.  Chuck out wool blankets and replace them with those made of cotton or nylon.  Wash all bedding in hot water at least once weekly.  And, to everyone's horror, think about reducing carpeting in your home or about trading it in for vinyl flooring.

Yes, high-filtration vacuums are great and may well raise to "state-of-the-art" level regarding cleaning but I can't see how they can be of much help for problems we help perpetrate in the name of making a good home.  We love plush carpets and bedding that gives us a feel of luxury when we turn in at night.  Luxury and or allusions toward it are part of the Amwerican way of life.  Matter of fact it seems we deem the more of it the better.  To my knowledge my health is not challenged by allergins or dust mites and I am glad for that but I am also aware that there are others who are not as lucky.  While it is most unfortunate that the well-being of many can be severely altered by creatures so small it's more unfortunate to allow them to believe that the matter can be solved merely by quick fixes or partial information.

Venson

mole

Reply #3   Aug 1, 2008 3:41 am
techphet wrote:
Is anyone familiar with this article? 

I'm wondering what vacuums they used in the study.

Tech

The consultants that Halo should have used, BWHAAAAAA, i could have told them that for 5 beans,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MOLE
techphet

Reply #4   Aug 4, 2008 5:49 pm
I guess I figured since they were 100-300 microns in size that their numbers would be diminished a bit by a HEPA vacuum.  They don't bother me (AFAIK) and I"m not concerned about them nearly as much as I am about knowing that my vacuum picks up more things that I can't see than a big-box store vacuum does :).
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42