Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Someone help me with questions about sealed/non sealed canisters

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
mark40511

Someone help me with questions about sealed/non sealed canisters
Original Message   May 4, 2008 6:44 pm
I have a Kenmore Can. From what I've read, it isn't sealed suction. Wonder why Kenmore chooses not to do this to their can's? Does the hepa bag make up for it If it isn't sealed, the air doesn't all exit out the hepa filter, right? Do the Electrolux metal can's have sealed suction? If you use a hepa cloth bag in a non sealed canister like an old metal lux can, would that keep down emissions? I'm looking for a canister, that is as easy to use as Kenmore cans but more reliable. I can't seem to find prices on Riccar or Simplicity online. I'm afraid anything I'm asking for here is gonna run into the 800 dollar and up range. I definitely don't want an upright or bagless. The Kenmores are sooo easy to use I just wish they were more reliable.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Re: Someone help me with questions about sealed/non sealed canisters
Reply #1   May 5, 2008 12:08 am
A sealed HEPA system means that in the vacuum cleaner, air can only enter thru the intake that you plug the hose into, and exit thru the HEPA media on the exaust filter.  The system also must, as a whole complete unit, be approved to filter to HEPA standards.  No Kenmore cleaners have ever been made this way, and despite many advertising claims, no department store brand truly meets this standard either.  To get this type of vacuum, you will have to go to a vacuum store and look at brands like Miele, Riccar, Simplicity, Lindhaus, and a few more that will come to me later.  These brands offer both canisters and uprights with the sealed system.

Now as to how companies get by with calling their machines HEPA when they aren't.  There are a few ways they can do this, usually they simply have the filter tested separately from the machine, typically at a lower airflow.  When the filter is then put into the vacuum, the airflow is so great that it forces the particles thru the material, the material was not a high enough grade for vacuum use.  The second way is to have a good filter, but simply not seal the machine.  Just look at a Bissell, or other cheap machine, there is not even a seal on the filter, the worst example of this would be the new Hoover Windtunnel self propelled machine with the black framed HEPA filters.  Just open the filter cover on one of these and look at the gaping gap between the filter and machine housing.  A shameful design on Hoover's part.

Now for what I recommend:  Look at the Riccar 1500P.  This model will be in a  price range just below the $800 one, from what I remember I have seen them in the $6-700 price before, same goes for the matching Simplicity model.
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #2   May 5, 2008 12:10 am
Just checked, and the 1500P was recently replaced with the Pristine, and for Simplicity, the Verve.
Venson

Reply #3   May 5, 2008 12:56 am
Hi Mark,

In what way have you found them unreliable?  I have owned Kenmore canisters and have found them to be no problem.  The better Kenmore canisters have rated well in Consumer Reports not only for good cleaning ability but in regard to emissions.  Also, I found that changing the dust bag at about three-fourths full on any vacuum cleaner makes a world of difference.  In any event, if you don't have a big budget -- and who does these days -- Kenmore is the first brand I'd recommend if you're looking for a new machine.The better Kenmore canisters have rated well in Consumer Reports not only for good cleaning ability but in regard to emissions.  Also, I found that changing the dust bag at about three-fourths full on any vacuum cleaner makes a world of difference.  In any event, if you don't have a big budget -- and who does these days -- Kenmore is the first brand I'd recommend if you're looking for a new machine.

As for the sealed suction issue -- to each his own.  As an rough example, we all can't buy the very best and most safe automobiles made but we can try to make the cars we can have as safe as possible.  Besides which the issue is bigger than sealed suction.  An exhaust vent or port in the wrong place on vacuum cleaner can set dust flying and negate the effectiveness of even the highest level filtering ability. 

So called sealed systems are claimed to contain and prohibit release of the dust particles they gather down to finite sze -- usually three microns. Also implied is that body seals are very tight thus reduciing the potential for power robbing air leaks.  The all-metal Electroluxes of the 1970s and later came with no pre- or exhaust filters however Aerus now produces a high-filtration bag that works with these models.  Electrolux has always proved better than most regarding tight body seals and a used or rebuilt machine used with a good high-filtration bag might be the answer you're looking for. You'd certainly have a not too expensive, sturdy and, best of all, repairable machine that parts can still be found for to date.

Keep in mind that "perfection" does not come without a price and it is usually high -- and even after you've paid you still may not have exactly what you'd be getting. 

Riccar/Simplicity keep a tight rein on pricing information. If you go to the following online address -- http://www.riccar.com/ -- click on "WHERE TO BUY" and you'll be guided to a page where you may enter your zip code to establish the Riccar dealer nearest you.

Good luck,

Venson

mark40511

Reply #4   May 5, 2008 3:33 am
Thanks for the input. The Kenmore can has got to be the most user friendly/easy to use vac for me anyway. I vacuum every single day, I have 2 cats plus I'm just a clean freak in general. I'm paranoid about the Kenmore as much as I like it, It just feels cheap. I'm waiting for the connected from the wand to the carpet power brush to give due to stress, so far this has not happened but I have read complaints about this. I had a Kenmore can I used for 2 years, gave it to my dad, it caught on fire. Now, who's to say that he changed the bags and the filters, I don't know. But yeah, he said it caught on fire while he was vacuuming. I was wondering about getting an old rebuilt lux tank canister and just using a cloth hepa bag with that. But then again, the Lux's aren't as easy to use as Kenmore Im guessing no quick release wand. I do like the Simplicity and Riccar. I'm willing to put money into something like that if it will last. I take care of all my things so I'm pretty good about up keep, bags filters etc.
mole

Reply #5   May 5, 2008 6:34 am
Just my 2 cents worth,what good is a sealed HEPA  filter,ever take a powerhead,wands, hose apart? Ever see the dust and dirt build up? I have,Sure the machine might be hepa rated,but how about the rest of it,Think about this is the part that actually cleans the flooring and carpet sealed and hepa rated,I dont know of any.............Just mor more B.S. from vacuumland

MOLE
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42