Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Wire reinforced of Crushproof hose??

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vernon

Wire reinforced of Crushproof hose??
Original Message   Mar 23, 2008 10:47 pm
A short while ago, I bought a Metro Vac Professional compact cannister (a little rocket I might add).  It only came with a standard hose.  Since I mostly have Lux cannister powerheads, with the exception of a Lindhaus head that I adapted to fit the Lux, I thought I would purchase a current carrying hose that I could use the Lux/Lindhaus head with. 

I have manly used wire reinforced hoses, I feel that they are built heavier, and will stand up to more abuse.  Crushproof is lighter, will flex back as compared to the w.r. , and will kink. 

Any recommendations you guys would have for this application??

Vernon

p.s. mole, I'm thinking of taking the winter mukluks off the crown vic in the next week or two, just wait, it will snow right after!!
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
mole

Re: Wire reinforced of Crushproof hose??
Reply #1   Mar 23, 2008 11:27 pm
Hi  Vernon, this project should be labeled as a custom special application,[NOT FOR THE TIMID], OR NOVICE, Does the machine have the powerhead jack on the side of the tank up near the front cover or close to it?

I think you could go with either hose Wire or Crushproof, I would buy a fit all electric hose with the long male pigtail at the machine end and the 10 or 15 " pigtail  on the wand end female socket,
You should be able to fit the machine end [ the metal one off the old hose into the new hose] then a standard inch and a quarter metal curved hose end into the other end to adapt the lux powerhead to it ,you might loose the swivel at the machine end,.

I have set up a royal power tank  with an electrolux pn 6,it was an excellent package,the customer still uses the machine and loves it,i told her to bring it to me every year just to service it and see how its been holding up,so far so good,If ROYAL had this set up instead of the centec set up, the machine would have qualified as the strangest set up that cleans like a bear. Talk about a bullit proof combo..............

MOLE
Vernon

Reply #2   Mar 23, 2008 11:44 pm
Mole,
It doesn't have the powerhead jack on the body.  That leaves me with a couple of options.  1. Drill/cut one and hard wire it in, or 2. just run a 30 foot built in cord.  I'm  kinda leaning towards option 2, as the unit only came with 18 gauge cord.  The vac has stamped on it 11 amps, now this is probably on initial start up, but 18 gauge is only rated for max 10 amps.  I've experimented with heavier cords ie 18 vs. 16, the 16 (exhaust air temperature) ran about five to seven  degrees cooler after 15 minutes of use.  This was tested in an old Kenmore, and a Lux epic 6000.  Or the other option would be to run a 16 gauge cord to the unit, and then hard wire a jack in. 

Nothing like building the 6 million dollar vacuum.  Oscar Goldman would be proud!!

Vernon
mole

Reply #3   Mar 23, 2008 11:59 pm
Hi Vernon.

I would wire the 16 svt cord  into it,it will carry the voltage better than the 18 svt,ALSO YOU CAN GET JUST THE POWER HEAD JACK KIT.i THINK THE ONES OFF THE EUREKA 1700 SERIES CANISTERS WILL WORK FINE
In fact i  know i have some. Of course you will have to get csa and ul approval

MOLE
dusty

Reply #4   Mar 24, 2008 9:57 am
HI Vernon,

I'd stick with the wire bound hose.  Crushproof are great on a central vac (as long as they have a swivel end) but because they get pulled and kinked much more with a cannister vac they tend to deform and break down electrically.

Dusty
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42