Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
bucks03

Dyson DC04
Original Message   Feb 17, 2008 10:18 am
I know that the DC04 is old now compared to the new breed of Dysons on the market.

I have had my DC04 for 5 and a half years.  It has pretty much trouble free.  I did encounter a problem with the clutch when I first got it,  it was abnormally noisy in carpet mode so I called out a Dyson engineer who replaced this free of charge, 2 months after purchasing the machine in 2002.

With regards to Dyson feature of the 'Ratchet Noise Alert' this does not seem to work after so many years as with the Dyson DC03, DC04, 07 they have smooth belts which slip more as time goes by so when I ever get a jam in my DC04 it no longer makes Ratchet noise, despite this the belts are the same from 2002 and my DC04 still do9es a good job at cleaning my carpets.

The only problems I have had with the machine is that the handle has snapped completely last year so I changed this for £25 and the stair tool broke in 2005 so Dyson sent me a replacement, that has been fine (it appears to made from a different softer material from the original, Polypropylene I suspect as opposed to the original rigid ABS)

I have also had a problem with the machine allowing an 'excessive' amount of Carbon Dust through its exhaust post motor filter even from the very beginning, when it comes to be emptying the bin, the back spine of the machine is covered in black carbon dust.  The Post Motor filter was changed 1 year after purchase and the top cover inspected but it didn't stop, which didn't really bother me anyway.  The machine doesn't have any kind of suction relief of a separate channel on the front like the DC14,15 etc which has meant when using on lino floor with the brush off the machine has been extremely difficult to push and pull because of the strong suction of the machine which has also subsquently led to the top part where the wand handle goes into the machine crack lately (not sure how long it last before it cracks completely)  Does anyone reckon that 5 and a half years is reasonable life I have got out of my Dyson?

The machine works perfectly well so I don't think I should spend money on a new Vacuum cleaner when I can just purchase the body part for the DC04.  I think this part is called the spine part and costs £15.  

As anyone here experienced a problem with parts breaking on their Dyson?   It'll be interesting to know as I am not a rough user.

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Venson

Re: Dyson DC04
Reply #1   Feb 17, 2008 3:05 pm
Considering the cost of Dysons, five-and-a-half years isn't great especially it being you've exercised care in your use of the machine.  I'd want a good ten years for the price BUT that's what I think.  It's mofdern times and even cheapy old me has to recognize that the "window of worth" shrinks quickly.

Also, to be considered is planned obsolescence.  Many plastics, per a friend of mine who's a chemist contain "plastisizers" that at frst aid in making durable and supple materials and that lose the capacity over x-amount of time.  This is known by theh makers.

Obviously, you like your Dyson which is the important thing.  Love covers a multitude of faults.  However, look at it this way -- how much would you pay to rent a vacuum cleaner that suited your requirements?  Knowing nothing lasts forever, if you paid $500, you've got $90.90 of use out of your machine per year over your five-and-one-half years of use.  In todays terms that rate is not be considered a lot of money -- a moderately priced dinner for two runs over a hundred bicks. 

Added up, you might be better served to get a new one if affordable.  You should also add in the money you've spent on parts and repairs plus your time to do so. You could go on for a few years more replacing parts but from what you've seen of new models do you think you might get a better deal all around with a new machine especially if your cleaner is no longer under warranty? Dyson part pricing can get a little strange -- some pieces inordinately cheap and some way too high for what they are -- http://www.dyson.com/store/parts.asp?product=DC07-SY-HEPA_US

In the case of automobiles there is usually a cut-off point where the owner considers the car's purchase, the length of time it's been in his or hands and the additional money that's been invested in maintenance.

I am not a Dyson owner and really don't like them much but would say your predicament as to whether you've gotten your money's worth is a common one no matter the brand.  Most popular vacuums are now made of almost completely of plastic.of some sort -- some tougher than others and not always easy to fix over time.  After five years, listing the problems you've stated, it's probably better just to get a new one and move on.

Good luck,

Venson

bucks03

Re: Dyson DC04
Reply #2   Feb 18, 2008 7:15 am
Hi Venson thanks for getting back to my log.   I might just purchase a new machine, I will continue to use the DC04 until it wears out completely.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42