Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Year End Storage Preparation... and fixing a squashed Ariens

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
newtonian

Year End Storage Preparation... and fixing a squashed Ariens
Original Message   Mar 19, 2005 11:11 pm
Drain carb and tank or add fuel treatment?  Raise wheels on blocks?  Grease what where?  Fogging oil or a teaspoon or nothing in cylinder? Postion of piston?  Change oil now or later? Paint it? Ignore it? ....

What works for the easiest starting in the fall?

My 32 year old Ariens almost got smooshed this year when something big fell on it.  The top of the intake housing  has been indented about 3" and nothing I've tried will even start to straighten the heavy grade steel.  The auger just clears the dent,  the side jiggles a bit and the axle shaft bushing has some horizontal freedom as a result.  I don't think things will fall apart, but it's a concern.   Any suggestions using stuff typically found around the home for straightening the top?  Does this sound dangerous?

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
18Degrees

Re: Year End Storage Preparation... and fixing a squashed Ariens
Reply #1   Mar 19, 2005 11:50 pm
Ah       do tell on what fell on it. 

I see a good story yer a hidin'

18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
TheKneebiter

Reply #2   Mar 20, 2005 7:37 am
you can either remove the auger and pound out the dent using a small 10lb hammer and use some heat to make it easier and at the same time replace the bushings or drill some holes in the dent and pull it out with a slide hammer/dent puller which you can pick up at pepboys cheap and then fill the holes you drilled with jb weld epoxy unless you have or know someone with a welder. l have a welder and i am about 10 min from you in needham. so if you want to come on by i would be happy to help.

TheKneebiter

Reply #3   Mar 20, 2005 7:45 am
also as far as storage, no need for blocks. it's not a car and wont sit for many years. the old reason for puting cars on blocks was to prevent flat spots in the tires which does not happen in the new belted tires. there is not enough weight on the blower to cause flat spots and even if you had them you would never know. tire chains on your old blower are not true and round and they roll pretty good. what i do with all my ope equipment before storage is :  fill tires up to pressure, clean machine  good, change the oil with a hot engine, put in stabil and then run them out of gas , spray them down with wd40 or whatever spray oil i have handy, put them in the shed under an old sheet as a cover to keep dust off, i have never had a problem and in my opinion the oil sprayed on the machines make them look as good as new many years to come.
This message was modified Mar 20, 2005 by TheKneebiter

newtonian

Reply #4   Mar 20, 2005 10:30 am
18degrees:  Not an exciting event; a tree branch fell on it during a windy storm a few weeks ago.

I tried banging it out with a 2X4 scrap on the metal and a small sledgehammer and just made the whole thing bounce a bit.  Thought I'd have better luck turning it over (after separating tractor) and smashing downwards, but that's a summer project.  Thanks for the offer about the welding; I won't be drilling holes into it.

Never did study if the sides of the auger housing....  should the sides have some play in them if pulled outwards?  Is it OK if the sides wiggle a bit, or will the force of snow and the actions possibly cause the auger to fall out of the bushing from what might now be a slightly distended assembly?
This message was modified Mar 20, 2005 by newtonian

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

solara

Reply #5   Mar 20, 2005 5:24 pm
u may be able to find the entire front assembly cheap.

ie one w/ a bad engine, etc.

the  guy in mendon could have one.

better the tree hit the sb and not the model T

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
bmwe0692

"Have a great and glorious day"

Reply #6   Mar 20, 2005 8:52 pm
Body work redneck style!!!!
Get hydraulic jack and 4"X4" post and 2 small metal plates,
1 plate on jack then post then other plate.
Jack up under the dent and lay 2x4 on edge on top of blower.
HAMMER till straight,repaint and nobody (except us)!!
will know the difference!!
Others will assist with the motor situation!!.
T.J. terry

Put it where the Big iron wheel runs!!!
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42