Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > the great horsepower debate...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

the great horsepower debate...
Original Message   Mar 15, 2005 8:18 pm
well folks a tied up the briggs rep and made him fess up on the sno engines.

there are 3 real horsepower ranges.

the small one is fron 6 to 8.5 horse...actually 8 horse i beleive not positive on this

the 9 to 12 horse units ...actually 12 horse

last is 13 horse  and it is closer to 14 horse

and almost all of them are cast iron bore.

the snappers are all cast iron  bore according to the tech.

thare have been no service manuals on the inteck engines since april of 2002,and there is no info on them that is any newer than that.

this is why there is so much controversey on it.

briggs never thought that they would have the success with the engine that they did,things just worked out real well for them.

they plan to get the numbers RIGHT for next season...and you guessed it ...it will be cubic inches not horsepower.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 30 - 33 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Re: the great horsepower debate...
Reply #30   Mar 17, 2005 2:00 am
snowshoveler wrote:

they plan to get the numbers RIGHT for next season...and you guessed it ...it will be cubic inches not horsepower.

later chris

I was checking out the tec engines last week and they had both extremes in the cubic inch ratio to horse power.  For example they had an 8 HP that was the 21 cu. in. and an 11 Hp in the 19 cu. in.

Then conversely

They had  an 8 hp in the 19 cu. in.  and an 11 hp in the 21 cu in.

So them going by cc's or cubic inches will now tell you less.  Now they are calling the hp bait and switch "downlabeling" ,  saying there is no crime in giving the customer more than they paid for.

Well they can't quite do that with stating the physical size of the displacement because that is a physical element. 

But as you can see, you can be led to believe you are getting more power with a bigger engine when in fact your not.  They just keep going farther and farther.

P.s.  By the way for some of the engines that I can only assume they are hiding the actual H P this year,  you now need a cross reference to find the horsepower as the nomenclature in the model number doesn,t reflect the horse power anymore. .

Here's an example you can look at Tec site has an OH318sa model num, it is a 318cc engine

Then go to Tulsa eng. Site and  they sell it as a OH318sa/OHSK110 (they crossed referenced it as to being an 11 Hp) and they advertise it as a 10 HP 

Then go back to TEC's site and punch it in as spec number 221821b.   and you will see it has the same piston etc. as the standard 8 HP L-head. ,, but I guess it is really an 11 HP and so probably is the 8 HP.  L-head.

So going by cubic inches I think is getting the consumer further away from the truth.  Definitely in this size engine and up)

What's really gonna burn someone's a-- is in the future someone will be doing a job with say a log splitter, or snow blower, (might be newer, but same design as the older one) and an older model will be doing the job much better.  The guy with the newer model will be saying well I got a 400 cc engine.   How many cc's does your 11 horsepower unit have, and he will say mine is only 318 cc's

Probably the worst thing that can happen is when someone starts playing games with weights and measures.

Ben07

This message was modified Mar 17, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #31   Mar 17, 2005 6:47 am
snowshoveler wrote:
tecumseh isnt quite as far out there as briggs but they do have there own way of telling the truth.

the only thing i can tell you for sure is that every ope engine will really produce the advertised horsepower. however the rpm that you have to run it at to get that horsepower is an entirely different thing.

the only lawnmowers that actually make the advertised horsepower would be the ones with 2 blades.

later chris 

Hi there Chris,

All things being equal I'd agree, but the one thing I can't get out of my mind is that LawnBoy disclaimer I posted to the forum which had a Tecumseh engine on it.  I really don't see how a lawn mower is that much different from a two stage snowblower.  True a snowblower has a very slow spinning auger, but the impeller spins very fast, not much different from the blade on a lawn mower.  Add to the fact these engines are not rated for torque & HP taking into consideration the EPA carburetors or the actual muffler being used on a specific engine or application, or the drag the lighting/charging alternators cause.  The LawnBoy disclaimer proves that part for sure.  So I believe more than ever the consumer is being seriously shafted here. 

When I purchased my snowblower, it came with two owners manuals, one for the snowblower and one for the engine.  The Tecumseh engine manual doesn't give one single engine specification for it, no mention of HP or torque, or even the engine size and not one single disclaimer about anything regarding engine performance.  In other words, Tecumseh isn't offering one single piece of information stating what they actually installed on this machine other than the manual titled, HMSK 80-110.  I'm going to prove all this once I can get my engine on a Dyno.  Believe me, I really want to be proved wrong on this one, but I don't think I will be. 

I can also live with the fact that some percentage of HP is lost through pulleys, or hydro transmissions or other options installed,  but I wouldn't mind that as long as I was able to say that my engine is at least producing it's rated power at the crank shaft.  There is way too much misleading of the consumer in this industry, when you can't even trust what the engine performance charts are saying because you may not even have the engine you thought you purchased.

This message was modified Mar 17, 2005 by Richie

Richie
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #32   Mar 17, 2005 8:38 am
<<begin rant mode>>

This has the potential to become one of those "never ending threads" (God, I hope not). I am shocked, shocked to learn that some manufacturers (you know who you are) are not entirely forthcoming about engine horsepower claims and what numbers are being used to justify them. Furthermore, the move away from hp ratings to engine displacement comparisons will only confuse the issue more, resulting in the marks (I meant to say, the consumers) paying more than they should or getting less than they wanted. Even if an engine advertised at 11 hp REALLY IS only 8-9 hp, how much of a problem IS that? Does it make the machine any less capable? I think not. It really only wounds the ego and feeds the fires of buyer's remorse. I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying whether or not Toro or my dealer took advantage of my naivete. I did the best I could at the time with the information I had, and I accept the machine for what it is. As long as it meets my needs, it satisfies me. If it doesn't, I'll make a better choice next time.

<<end rant mode>> 

Yep, that Earl Grey tea produces quite a caffeine buzz. They should really put a warning label on that product.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

torquecrazy

Reply #33   Dec 10, 2007 6:04 am
Hi, I know just what you guys are talking about, I bought a craftsman 13.5 torque rating and was led to beleive that it was a 13.5hp by the sears retailer, only after much research on the internet that I found out that it was a 9.5hp.  Even the owners manual that the I have came with it says that its a 13.5hp, but on the snowblower it says 13.5 torque.  When I was at the sears retail store, I asked the retail guy just what horsepower the engine was; and after digging out the owners manual, he bought it over to me and it stated right on it that it was a 13.5 horsepower...I've checked the model number on the manual and on the snowblower and they are a perfect match.  I am certianly getting to do battle with sears, and I'm not going to take this sitting down!!

Thank's

Replies: 30 - 33 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42