Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Anyone Had Experience Renting OPE's from Home Depot?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Anyone Had Experience Renting OPE's from Home Depot?
Original Message   Mar 16, 2005 7:32 pm
I'm planning on renting an Aerator in a couple of weeks, (I'm being optimistic that all the snow will be gone). Has anyone had any experience good or bad renting from the boys at HD?

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Re: Anyone Had Experience Renting OPE's from Home Depot?
Reply #3   Mar 16, 2005 8:48 pm
you should have no problem with them or the machine.

wear all required safety gear...this means steel toed boots and protective eyewear.

do your lawn like they do hockey rinks with the zamboni,you know split the middle.

and make sure the machine is atleast as clean when you return it as it was when you got it.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
SnowPro

Reply #4   Mar 16, 2005 9:36 pm
Smitty wrote:
I'm planning on renting an Aerator in a couple of weeks, (I'm being optimistic that all the snow will be gone).

DO NOT aerate your lawn until the soil temperature is up to about 50 degrees minimum.  I know that everyone gets excited when spring gets close, but you will do more harm than good by getting a jump on aerating.  Beating the crowd to the rental place is not good cultural practices.

The whole purpose of aerating is to open up the soil to allow air circulation for the roots of the turf.  To relieve compaction and give the roots a chance to move through the soil more easily.  Also, by opening up the surface, you will be able to allow water and fertilizer to reach the root zone more easily.

BUT..................when you do this too early you risk freezing the roots because cool night air can really do a number on the exposed roots.  They don't have the buffer to protect them when the temps fall off at night.  The lawn will effectively be shocked.  

If you want to follow the best cultural practices for your lawn, then get a thermometer and wait for the temp. to come up first, then go at it and pound the crap out of it.  More holes the better.  The soil will really be able to breathe and your turf will really respond.  Timing is everything!

Ken

Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #5   Mar 16, 2005 9:51 pm
Thanks for the "heads up" on the soil temp Ken!

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #6   Mar 16, 2005 11:03 pm
I didn't realize that HD rented out OPE.  Now, I'm really interested.  What kinds do they rent, I got to find out more. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #7   Mar 17, 2005 2:57 am
We rented a post hole digger and I thought they were great....good at giving me the rundown of do's and don'ts with it, etc. and it worked great (beat the heck out of the old

2-handled manual post hole digger we used as kids to put up a fence). 

And I agree with Chris...clean it up before you return it. 

Paula

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #8   Mar 17, 2005 4:59 pm
SnowPro...how do you manage to know all this stuff.

you are incredable . any chance i could hire you we need some help at work and im sure you would do fine.

later chris  

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
mrmom

Reply #9   Mar 17, 2005 6:05 pm
Rented their aerator and dethatcher last year. No problems with the transaction. All went well. Since the HD rental place was new here by the local HD, the machines we rented were brand spanking new.  Sweet!
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #10   Mar 18, 2005 12:22 am
I thought that your rented directly from the store.  I wondered why I didn't see it advertised more.  We don't even have a HD around here. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

mrmom

Reply #11   Mar 18, 2005 8:53 pm
It is in HD itself.  There are 4 HDs within a 15 mile radius of where we are and only 2 have rental facilities. Go figure!
whitedog

cry once when you buy it, not every time you use it!

Reply #12   Mar 19, 2005 6:36 pm
AJace wrote:
I thought that your rented directly from the store.  I wondered why I didn't see it advertised more.  We don't even have a HD around here. 

AJace,

liking orange, you are a HD natural. how far is the nearest HD from you?

they rent pressure washers and other machines you can use around the house.kind of like a mini nations rent. lots of orange machines.

wd

ope: ariens 8524, winco 8kw - b/s vanguard v twin, little giant 5 hp b/s, stihl br-650

the difference between smart and stupid is stupid knows no bounds

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42