Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh Easy Start Performance

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Frank

Tecumseh Easy Start Performance
Original Message   Mar 15, 2005 11:00 pm
Tecumseh is advertising the L-Head design motor with "Easy Start Performance" and this motor is available on several lawnmowers that are on the market.  Does anyone have any experience with these newer designs and do they typically start on the first pull?  I am considering a mower with a 6.5HP Tecumseh
This message was modified Mar 15, 2005 by Frank
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: Tecumseh Easy Start Performance
Reply #1   Mar 16, 2005 7:04 am
Frank,

If there is a primer button, I'm sure it'll start on the first pull.  Just remember, especially when it comes to lawnmowers,  that 6.5 HP rating is a farce.  The available power is more like 3.5 HP partly due to the limit that the mower blades are permitted to spin.  The blade tip speed may have been reduced from 22,000 RPM's down to 19,000 RPM's.  Shop for a mower for the conveniences you are looking for, not for the HP rating.

Richie
buttlint

Reply #2   Mar 16, 2005 10:17 am
Frank,
We havent had any experience in my area yet...(Michigan) It hasnt been over 20 degrees here for the last 6 months. (But...spring is just around the corner.)
The ESP and SST systems are just some changes that are "supposed" too make easier starting. They are:
A larger recoil starter that will increase the leverage when pulling the rope.
A CDI ignition module that has a faster response time and a higher energy output.
A new primer system that gives a better "squirt".
Any engine made in the last 15 years hasnt really been that tough too start, providing that fuel is fresh and its been taken care of with proper maintainance. There are also other factors that arent engine related, that make certain models tougher too pull start.
Some Snapper and Toro walkbehinds are a good example....They mount the starter grip at the top of the handle. If you are not over 6 and half feet tall...you really cant get any leverage when pulling on it. The rope is already up too your chin by the time you have tugged a foot of rope. Those same units start a heck of a lot easier when you let the rope retract all the way back too the engine....and pull it from there. You can get some "umph" behind your pull....and it really doesnt take that much effort too bend over and grab the rope grip from there. Some other brands do the same thing...Super long handles with the grip located up around your shoulders.
Bolens used too put the grip on the left hand side of the unit, up the handle and thru a couple of pulleys. If you are not left handed.....you could maybe get the engine too spin around twice with a healthy tug.

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #3   Mar 16, 2005 5:35 pm
hey Lint...

seems like you had the same update i just got .

they do seem to be a bit better than the older engine and with the newer design of the carb and primer they might actually be ok.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #4   Mar 16, 2005 7:04 pm
Thanks for the HP info guys. I have been wondering about the advertised hp of today's mowers. My 10 year old Toro is only listed at 4.5 and provided sufficient HP but I have been wondering why the newer mowers are coming in over 6 HP.

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42