Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowing Now - But Time to Think About a New Trimmer for Spring

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Terp

Snowing Now - But Time to Think About a New Trimmer for Spring
Original Message   Feb 28, 2005 12:43 pm
First post on the new site.  Glad to see some of the familiar screen names on this site.  Started snowing about an hour ago.  We are supposed to get between 6-10 inches.  So, with a little time to kill before getting out the snow blower tonight, I figure I'd ask for some input on a new trimmer. 

Trimmer is for homeowner use only - for areas the mower can't get to on a 1/3 acre lawn.  I am looking for reliability, easy start, and a well balanced trimmer.  My old trimmer had a curved shaft, poor balance, and just killed my back after 30 minutes.  Seemed like I was never in a comfortable position when using it.  Fortunately it died after 10-12 years.  I can't bear to replace something that still works.  But now I can shop with no regrets.

I'm considering either an Echo trimmer (SRM-210 or SRM-210i) or the Honda 4 cycle (HHT25SLTA).

Anyone have any comments on the above models.  Might even look at the Echo PAS-230 with the optional edging attachment.  I have an edger, but it is fairly old and I am not sure I want a separate piece of OPE when I have to replace it.  Maybe the PAS-230 is a good alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Replies: 8 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Terp

Re: Snowing Now - But Time to Think About a New Trimmer for Spring
Reply #8   Mar 12, 2005 5:55 pm
Had a chance to look at the Husky 326 today with the optional attachments.   Nice machine.  Now considering that unit vs the Echo PAS 260.  Need a trimmer and edger.  Anyone know why the edger attachments are not in-line?   Most have a curved offset shaft - Husky, Echo, Stihl.  Though, Stihl makes a unit that accepts an in-line edger that attaches at the bottom of the shaft.  Only one I have seen like that.

The dealer I visited today was discontinuing the Husky line and going strictly with Stihl.  After reading the 2 cycle vs 4 cycle thread discussing small OPE, I have decided against the Honda units and the Stihl 4 mix units.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #9   Mar 12, 2005 6:36 pm
Terp, as for the reason they are not inline, I have no idea. What I can say though is, I like it that way. When edging the sidewalks, driveway, porch areas, etc; I want to walk on the paved area, away from the line of edged grass and dirt that my trimmer just edged. Being offset, it allows you to do this easily without having to hold the whole trimmer out from your body so far.
robmints

Reply #10   Mar 12, 2005 7:41 pm
Terp,
That is exactly what I really liked about the Stihl. I got the FS85 . The edger, which I did not buy, is straight inline with the shaft. That made it much easier to use, as you could see what you were doing with out having to lean over. Why are the others bent? No idea. My FS85 does require tools to change the attachments, but each attachchment is considerably less expensive than the quick change versions.

That said, I got a self feeding trimmer head. Took it off. You might want to consider the Chinese handcuff type of trimmer head that takes pre-cut string. I like mine much better. No matter what brand you choose.

I know it can be hard, but you really need to test drive then to see which one you will like. If you find a good dealer, you  should have no problem. They will encourage you to try before you buy. Even if they have a recommedation you might hear "Try this one so you can see what I mean."
Replies: 8 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42