Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Walk behind mower recommendation?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Walk behind mower recommendation?
Original Message   Mar 12, 2005 10:06 am
Hey Guys,
A friend of mine is looking for a new walk behind mower.......he told me the following;

Doesn't need self propelled, doesn't really need a bagger
Mainly wants it to be a nice cut, and to perhaps mulch well.
He does not really need all the bells and whistles, but appreciates quality, and also value.

Does any brand stand out as a good basic quality unit with exceptional  cutting?

I'm not really too up on these.....my 25 year old 3.5 hp front propelled Toro still works for what I need it to do, just trimming.

thanks,
 Frank  D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Walk behind mower recommendation?
Reply #2   Mar 12, 2005 10:58 am
Gotta go with Will, Snapper would be a good choice. I wouldn't walk by a Toro Super Recycler either.
walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #3   Mar 12, 2005 10:48 pm
Send him to flea market for 40$ he'll find a good mower

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #4   Mar 12, 2005 11:21 pm
walbroman wrote:
Send him to flea market for 40$ he'll find a good mower

Well there's a thought.
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #5   Mar 13, 2005 4:17 pm
Well I have a front wheel drive made by John Deere. I wanna say they made it for Scotts. I have no complaints about it. I was thinking if he doesn't wanna propelled maybe he should atleast go with big wheel.My buddy has a big wheel Craftsman 21inch with a 6.5 Briggs and he loves it. I think it does have a bagger tohugh. The cut is really nice I think he paid bout 125.00 for it. I don't know if that is what he is looking for just figured I give a input. Thanks Mike
This message was modified Mar 13, 2005 by mikefla1

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
robmints

Reply #6   Mar 13, 2005 5:38 pm
Snapper
Ninja blades are well liked.

Toro

Another Toro

Husqvarna/Sears had some nice stuff last year.

But I'm a sucker for an aluminium deck.
Termy

Reply #7   Mar 13, 2005 6:50 pm
A few people here have already told you what I am going to say lol

I have had alot of experiance with mowers and engines. In my experiance I know of two companies that make great mowers. My dad had a Toro LT that lasted 20 years before it died. My dad also owned a Snapper that lasted 15 years before it died. I owned a Scotts that was manufactured by John Deer that lasted 5 years and died. I owned a Murray RER that lasted 16 years then died. When I buy my new mower, its either going to be a Toro or a Snapper.

Toro

Snapper

mrmom

Reply #8   Mar 13, 2005 9:40 pm
What kind and size  of area will he be cutting? Am only asking as when I first got a mower, I had to consider the berm in the back with about 30 or so trees to cut around. Finally decided one with front wheel casters. Turning was great around the trees. Eventually ended up with a riding mower to save time though. Still have the walk behind for days when I am in the mood for exercise.
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #9   Mar 14, 2005 7:05 am
In my original post I did not mention a couple other  features---If I wanted my walk behind to last for years I would buy one with an Aluminum allow deck.  It seems the deck is the first thing that rusts out (most of us won,t keep them washed out underneath),  also I would look at the wheel adjustment mechanism,s.   ,  also the wheels should have good bearings, etc.  With the good features, a good engine  (there are many brands that are good solid, easy starting, long lasting) will give you a mower that will be with you for many years. (hope so anyway)---Take care and may you and your family be blessed from the God of Heaven this day and always---Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #10   Mar 14, 2005 2:11 pm
I don't know what your friend's budget is, but if money was no problem, I'd be looking at the Deere JA62 self propelled with lockable front caster wheels at around $550. Also the Cub Cadet SR621 at around $459. As a guy that has pushed a LOT of mowers in the last 40 years, I would want at least a 2 speed self propelled feature for those days I'm walking a little slower than usual, comfortable handle bar height, one lever wheel height adjustment (no fiddling with each wheel, or accidently haveing one wheel different causing a rotten looking cut), and the ability to bag, mulch, or side discharge with out too much fuss swapping parts. Also the Toro Super recycler 20055 model at around $549 is an excellent mower but with individual wheel height adjustments. These are not the most expensive models out there, but they are high end mowers, and should last 10-20 years with good maintenance and if not abused by running over metal pipes, etc. If he was looking to spend less than $250, then whatever is on sale at any given week at the local box store with the most features he can get for his money.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #11   Mar 19, 2005 7:23 am
Thanks everyone....
I will pass on to my friend your wise counsel........

Frank D.
This message was modified Mar 19, 2005 by faithfulFrank

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42