Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > pros/cons 2-cycle vs 4-cycle?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
seezar

pros/cons 2-cycle vs 4-cycle?
Original Message   Mar 8, 2005 1:45 pm
I apologize if this is an elementary question but I am a new homeowner and do not have alot of knowledge on engines in general.

I have a 1/4 acre lot and plan to do my own lawn maintenance. I've already purchased my mower and am now looking at getting a trimmer.

I've noticied the big difference in gas-powered trimmers seems to be 2-cycle or a 4-cycle engine but I'm not clear what the pros and cons are of each. Also in some of my research I see that some units take straight gas whereas others require a mixture. I'm just completely confused at this point at what to even start looking for. I dont have a large lot that requires a tremendous amount of trimming but I want to purchase a unit that will be durable and most fit my needs. Maybe my needs would be better suited with an electric model?

Any explanations and advice would be greatly appreciated.
This message was modified Mar 8, 2005 by seezar
Replies: 33 - 38 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: pros/cons 2-cycle vs 4-cycle?
Reply #33   Mar 12, 2005 7:25 am
Marshall wrote:
I know this is not 2 vs 4 cycle but you got into Outboards and it took me here. LOL 

Hi Marshall,

Exactly my point.  I was amazed at how efficient Evinrude's technology is, not to mention they actually raised the bar on 2-stokes.  I only wish our OPE 4-strokes engines could also be brought into 2005 as well.  I'd certainly expect to pay more for a machine, but you can't beat an efficient combustion chamber design.  I'd like to see carburetors disappear altogether and a more efficient piston and cylinder head design as well.   Ski-doo and Artic Cat snowmobiles have been very successful using two types of fuel injection on their 2-stokes, I'm sure it's a matter of time before the OPE industry catches up.  It will require a new engine design as soon as some of the newer emission standards start kicking in. 

Richie
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #34   Mar 12, 2005 10:50 am
thats exactly my point guys...

i used to be in the marine industry and was certified for OMC as well as mercury and mercruiser.

have you ever heard a 900sc mercruiser (predecessor to the one marshall posted)just sitting there idling.was the sweetest thing i ever heard...and i got to work on it.

which brings me to my point.

the 2 strokes can make lots of power and burn cleaner than a lot of 4 strokes ,the technology is  there .we are just waiting to have it .

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #35   Mar 12, 2005 11:31 am
Too bad Evinrude didn't compare their H.O. 225 E-Tec against Merc's OptiMax 225 Pro SX.

robmints

Reply #36   Mar 12, 2005 12:04 pm

I know I have lost my mind. But after having 2 strokes from a 5 HP Wizard to a 200 Yamaha to now a 140 Johnson, if the Johnson ever wore out, I would look at this Honda. The only thing I like better about the 4 stroke outboards is they are quiet.
jubol

Reply #37   Mar 12, 2005 12:09 pm

Rob,

I think the 4 stroke outboards also get a little better fuel consumption rate.

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #38   Mar 12, 2005 12:54 pm
Rob, those Honda's are darn nice engines for family pleasure boating! Great fuel economy, quiet and reliable.
Replies: 33 - 38 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42