Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Dealer affiliation in my area going negative

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Ariens Dealer affiliation in my area going negative
Original Message   Mar 9, 2005 3:42 pm
I was going to order some parts and went into the dealer locator for my area, (southwestern PA )  I got like 2 in a 50 mile radius, opened up the search and the next ones were in Ohio.  Last year was the last time I checked this and there were at least 6 to 8 in the 50 mile radius.  Is this happening anywhere else?  (Other manufacturers can be cited if you are noticing a big change)  Could it have something to do with Home Depot now being used to showcase their equip?   (which could mean, they don't need as many dealers, or the dealers don't want to deal with or for them if they are using H D?)  A number of things could be happening, any idea's?

Thanks   Ben07 

This message was modified Mar 9, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Ben07

Re: Ariens Dealer affiliation in my area going negative
Reply #4   Mar 9, 2005 5:17 pm
snowshoveler wrote:

or you can treat him reasonable all the time and he will be back many times and bring his friends.

this seems to be a difficult concept for a lot of places.

we enjoy the little bit at a time idea. so we get the repeat customers.

later chris

Chris The little bit at a time is my guess on maybe about the best way.  I don't know how it could be done any better in todays market.  Sure bigger customer, and or commercial sales are quite different.  I am talking primarily bout the homerowner stuff.  Still a lot of people willing to buy from the dealer who is fair, thus also giving him credit and business for his expertise etc. 

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #5   Mar 9, 2005 5:30 pm
there are very few pro anything anymore ...so it is the homeowners that we work with the most .

we still go the extra mile for the pros and will always work on there problem as soon as they come into the shop,but there arent many left.

sales and service.

we dont have to work very hard to sell our product...but we always work hard to sell our service.

it takes a very long time to get a good reputation and only a short time to ruin it.

the biggest problem any small shop faces now is from their suppliers.

good service from them is what really counts.

backorders are a real problem,and we will can any supplier that is sloppy.

there are so many suppliers knocking on our door right now that we just have no way to look after them all.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #6   Mar 9, 2005 6:27 pm
Within 50 miles of my location, three Ariens dealers and nine Toro dealers, one Simplicity.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #7   Mar 9, 2005 7:23 pm
The Ariens Dealer Locator for my area shows 11 service locations within 25 miles and 10 sales locations within 25 miles, not counting the 10 Home Depots listed. The closest is about 2 miles away where I purchased mine.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #8   Mar 9, 2005 10:02 pm
While I was shopping snow blowers last month i visited a shop that has been around since I moved here in 1974. He always promoted Ariens .He stopped carrying them this year because they started selling through a tool rental shop within two miles of his store. He won't even repair anything on them except the engine. He said he's fed up with their business practices.

He still has Toro and Snapper.

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Dantheman

Reply #9   Mar 9, 2005 10:15 pm
My Simplicity dealer was formally an Ariens dealer for as long as I can remember ( I've lived in the same house since I was 3 1/2 yrs. old) He switched over to Simplicity back in the early 1990's because he said he was having to spend too much time on warranty repairs.

He was already a Deutz Allis dealer so the transition to Simplicity snowblowers was easy.

It's still easier to find a Ariens or Toro dealer....but I still love my Simplicity...

Dan 

Ben07

Reply #10   Mar 10, 2005 10:20 am
Jonathan wrote:
The Ariens Dealer Locator for my area shows 11 service locations within 25 miles and 10 sales locations within 25 miles, not counting the 10 Home Depots listed. The closest is about 2 miles away where I purchased mine.

Good example Johnathan, as that is approx what my 25 mile area had shown last year. (except there was noHD listing.)  If I get past one I will stop in and ask, as Prob not a good idea to do over the phone.  Problem they are all far, out of the way from anywhere I normally go etc 

Being it all happened at once here, I would assume It may have been Ariens fault, and or directive.  It could have been a competition blitz, who knows.  I just really find this hard to believe them allowing it to happen simultaneously with their trying to use Home Depot ,  which has given them a lot of exposure. 

Maybe they are going to open up a dedicated dealership/showroom in the area.   Does anybody have anything in their area like a dedicated dealership.  

I just talked to a friend the other day as we went together on a fairly big stump grinder, 20HP v twin hydro drive, used, had shipped in from Mich.

He said he saw an ariens at home depot, asked me about the price,  (he has on old antique one, completely restored, (so now it will only come out in the summer to be rewaxed. 

But I had to tell him if they don't have service for parts etc. then don't buy it.  The company won't sell parts to the public on the net, cept for a few bolt on frill accessories, 

That's what I am going to have to tell anyone who asks.  Don't buy them cause for all intents and purposes you can't get parts.  Sorry but driving 50 miles for parts,  is the same as not being able to get them (You know I will do it cause I appreciate the machine)    How do you tell someone, who is usually mechanically challenged in the first place, That they are going to have a hard time getting parts and service.  You may as well not even mention it in the first place.  Because it will throw up an immediate flag right in front of their face that says don't buy that one no matter what he says.  If they would buy it and you don't tell them that they  are going to say the first time it breaks.  hmmm nice machine you recommended..  I cant get any parts around here and have to drag it 50 miles to get it fixed. 

Sry just can't recommend them now. 

Ben07

This message was modified Mar 10, 2005 by Ben07

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #11   Mar 10, 2005 7:34 pm
hmm ...curious now.

do you think this ariens dealer thing is the result of the distributer trying to set up to many shops in one area...no proper dividing of territory.

or is it ariens own policy to screw over there dealers.

i would think its the distributor not ariens but i have been wrong before.

we sell ariens and have no problems but there are no dealers anywhere near us and from what we understand nobody is interested in taking on another line in this area.

toro simplicity and lawnboy are up for grabs as well as countless others in our area.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #12   Mar 11, 2005 7:05 am
snowshoveler wrote:
hmm ...curious now.

do you think this ariens dealer thing is the result of the distributer trying to set up to many shops in one area...no proper dividing of territory.

or is it ariens own policy to screw over there dealers.

i would think its the distributor not ariens but i have been wrong before.

As I stated this is the problem in my neighborhood. I don't think Ariens would intentionally screw over their dealers but given what has happened here along with the selling of their machines to large box stores the result is the same.

One would think that they would have a policy for distributors to follow in terms of opening up dealers in the same geographic area.

Its' ironic that the Tool rental shop that I alluded to in my earlier post only took in the LE models that are available at Home Depot a mile further down the road.  He is selling them for a higher price and as a result it looks like he hasn't sold any.

In addition he has them lined up outside the shop chained together open to the elements. They are starting to look a little bit ratty.

I could never understand the sales approach of using the curb as a showroom.

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #13   Mar 11, 2005 7:29 am
Good Morning,
I know there is a lot of Ariens dealers within a fifty mile radius of here, but I'm 30 miles from Buffalo and 30 miles from Rochester, NY.
I tried to do a dealer search on Ariens website, but as I have found many times before, the dealer locator is "Down"..........

The only simplicity dealer within 30 miles of here stopped carrying Simplicity, but he was just too lax to keep any business. There is a new local engine repair place right here in our town who is considering going for the Simplicity dealership, which I encouraged him to do.

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42