Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > pros/cons 2-cycle vs 4-cycle?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
seezar

pros/cons 2-cycle vs 4-cycle?
Original Message   Mar 8, 2005 1:45 pm
I apologize if this is an elementary question but I am a new homeowner and do not have alot of knowledge on engines in general.

I have a 1/4 acre lot and plan to do my own lawn maintenance. I've already purchased my mower and am now looking at getting a trimmer.

I've noticied the big difference in gas-powered trimmers seems to be 2-cycle or a 4-cycle engine but I'm not clear what the pros and cons are of each. Also in some of my research I see that some units take straight gas whereas others require a mixture. I'm just completely confused at this point at what to even start looking for. I dont have a large lot that requires a tremendous amount of trimming but I want to purchase a unit that will be durable and most fit my needs. Maybe my needs would be better suited with an electric model?

Any explanations and advice would be greatly appreciated.
This message was modified Mar 8, 2005 by seezar
Replies: 21 - 30 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
SnowPro

Re: pros/cons 2-cycle vs 4-cycle?
Reply #21   Mar 10, 2005 1:39 pm
robmints wrote:

Even old time two stroke engines have valves, called reed valves that can fail and cause the machine to run poorly or not at all. And they do fail from time to time.

I remember my dad saying that the reed valves would get weak from "flapping" all the time and would usually be the cause of poorly running machines (usually Lawnboys) that would come into the shop.  I've worn out a few myself from back in the day when we ran Lawnboys exclusively.

Ken

Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #22   Mar 10, 2005 3:20 pm
Ben07 wrote

I have never seen any 2 cycle engine with any internal mechanical valve in the combustion area. (maybe that don't mean there are none so feel free to show me, I'm here to learn)) .  The reed valve is a trap door check valve, sometimes called a flapper valve , flow direction valve, whatever. It is normally between the carburetor and the crankcase of the engine,  In short no where near the internal combustion area. 

Great in-action working model of a 2 cycle
http://www.oldengineshed.com/twocycthry.html

intcmpdg.gif - 12482 Bytes
This message was modified Mar 10, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #23   Mar 10, 2005 7:26 pm
well folks the still 4mix is a carbon copy of shindiawas 4 stroke unit and neither one is much good.we sold the shindiawa 4 stroke units and after i get done doing all the recalls and updates ill be an old man.

i really hate it when a company brings out somthing and claims its te best thing since sliced bread,then we find out it went mouldy and has to come back in for repairs .

eventually they will bring in fuel injection and that will be the end of 4 strokes.

now i know some of you are saying no way but what if i tell you that your precious 4 stroke isnt so clean after all and the only reason they build them at all is so they can earn credits to play off on their not so clean units.

did you know that fuel injected  2 strokes have been tested to run at a mix equal to 400 to 1. they are variable ratio oil injected ...changes with load and rpm.

its complicated now but getting better all the time.

a fuel injection 2 stroke can run cleaner than almost every 4 stroke.

dont beleive me check out a mercury outboard called OPTIMAX...awsome engineering in that thing and cleaner than any other 4 stroke outboard.

i like 4 strokes but they have not earned their place in small hand held ope yet.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
robmints

Reply #24   Mar 10, 2005 7:42 pm
Chris,
What about Echo's Tornado power, or what ever they call it.
snowshoveler

Reply #25   Mar 10, 2005 7:53 pm
echo is top quality product (used to sell it) but you could look at a srm 2300 or 2500 and have a very nice machine  that will last a lifetime with little or no maintenence.

i feel that the 4 stroke are gonna be a problem after a couple of years ,especially if they dont get used much.

just check out the price of a carb kit for any 4 stroke trimmer and maybe a spark plug ...if you can find one ,and you wont fine one at walmart.

if you leave you gas get stale once its gonna be very costly,i end up replacing every second carb on the 4strokes if you even mention bad gas around one of them.

and that just makes them impractical to me.

stale gas is a way of life we all do it from time to time and  sure its anoying ,but with these ones your gonna pay through the nose

.buttlint ...how much does a carb lit cost for one of your stihl 4 strokes and how many do you have in stock...the kit i mean not the trimmer.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Terp

Reply #26   Mar 10, 2005 9:15 pm
Well, SnowShoveler has pretty much convinced me to go with a 2 cycle trimmer.

I had been considering the Honda units, but had some concerns.  I am leaning towards the Echo 230 or possibly the PAS-260 for some flexibility with trimmer, edger attachments.  Though some say that the you should't use the PAS model for your primary edger.  I guess my question is - if you should not use it as your primary edger, what is the point?   Are you better off with a dedicated edger?

Also, liked a Husky model I saw - 326.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #27   Mar 10, 2005 9:17 pm
Not as primary edger? Bullsnot.

Mine works fine, has for years. Bottom line is, once you have a nice groove, it doesn't take much at all, you'll fly down it.
SnowPro

Reply #28   Mar 10, 2005 11:43 pm
Marshall wrote:
Not as primary edger? Bullsnot.

Mine works fine, has for years. Bottom line is, once you have a nice groove, it doesn't take much at all, you'll fly down it.

Absolutely correct!  If you keep it up, it is a breeze to do.  You do not need a dedicated machine that will sit most of the time.

Ken

SnowPro

Reply #29   Mar 10, 2005 11:51 pm
Terp wrote:

I had been considering the Honda units, but had some concerns. 

Also, liked a Husky model I saw - 326.

I have to say that after having the Honda dealer practically begging me to try one out, I was really expecting something.  What a let down!   I was not impressed with the handling at all, and I think Snowshoveler sums it up about this move to 4 stroke technology.  Also, I don't know of ANYONE, either in person, or on the net that uses a Honda trimmer commercially.

I havn't had a chance to run one of the Husky 326's yet, but I have handled them and checked them out quite closely and they seem to be well made.  It is light but strong where it needs it.  I know of some other maintenance guys that have them and I havn't heard any complaints.

Ken

snowshoveler

Reply #30   Mar 11, 2005 4:55 pm
hey guys the husky 326 is a very nice machine and if you want the edger ,just buy the split boom unit and then get any extra tools you want.

we sold the earlier version 325 as fast as we could get them...around 30 or 40 a year and thats a lot in a small shop like ours.

have next to no trouble with them...they have the green gas cap i beleive which means they have a cat in the exhaust ,makes them a bit cleaner .

they always start well and have lotsa power.

i dont usually bragg up the stuff we sell cause it seems like im pushing product and thats not right .but if you ask i will fess up.

later chris

Replies: 21 - 30 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42