Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Conversation with Simplicity

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Conversation with Simplicity
Original Message   Feb 21, 2005 3:59 pm
Hi guys,

Called Briggs with the spec # on the Simplicity I am looking at . The guy was very nice!! Called me back and spent a lot of time  but couldn't find the exact # I gave him. He said he was 90% sure the spec# I gave him  is an aluminum bore engine. What he was able to give me was the Phone # for Simplicity which I couldn't get on Friday. For you Simplicity fans the #is (262)284-8669.Hit 2 on your phone after you get through to get to the tech dept. Real interesting conversation with that gentleman.

1)All the engines in the large frame line are the same except for the 13hp unit."If you buy the the 9560E,1060DLXE,1170Eor 1280E you get the same engine."

When I asked him why he said it's more cost effective to power everything with the 12hp engine than to buy different engines for each model. He was very specific about saying the engine is the 12. The stickers are different.

2)" All the engines are aluminum bore models because they are the same engine" Simplicity chose to go with aluminum bore because they run cooler and in an environment absent of dust and dirt the cast iron isn't necessary.Today"s Aluminum alloys wear very well under winter conditions according to their tests."

3)"I should consider using the Briggs synthetic oil because it doubles  the life of the warranty. There is a chemical dye in the oil that colors the internal parts of the engine. If you have a failure they check for the color and you get a replacement." Sounds like a good deal to me.

4)He suggested using Simplicity part #1704636 to lubricate the gearbox. Infomed me that it is really a Snapper lubricant and that when Simplicity bought Snapper they found it worked very well. Said it doesen't thicken in the cold as much as other gear oils.

I pressed him a little on the aluminum bore issue reminding him that Simplicity used cast iron bore Tecumsehs before Briggs bought the company. He said that the purchase by Briggs had nothing to do with it.Simplicity started using Briggs three years ago when the Snow Intek first came out. He reminded me this was before Simplicity was bought by Briggs.When I asked him why the change he said there were too many issues with the Tecumseh carburetors .

I went to the Briggs web site and spent some time looking at their replacement engine spec. book. Sure enough there are 9,10 and 11 hp. engines of the same displacement. To further confuse/enlighten me they listed engines of the same horse power that have different displacements.And to further confuse the issue Briggs does not list a 12 hp engine. 

I have a headache,

Marc

This message was modified Mar 2, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 135 - 144 of 156Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
max427

Re: Conversation with Simplicity
Reply #135   Mar 4, 2005 8:00 pm
Ben07 wrote:
Yeah ford made one  they put it in their ford gt 40 the one that won Lemans in the early 60's   they also used it in production cars,  also of famous note it was the motor in the ford duece coup that had the race in 2 lane blacktop against the 55 454 chevy.  I had in interest as I built a 55 chev post same almost as that car with a 336 chev .. (325 punched .0030 over . whole ten yards bal bulped solids headers  animal bars etc. so it wa an interest when I saw the movie..

I amglad you only have the 435 HP  thought you got hold of an L-88   that was made in 67 also  ... 67 one of Vette's best years.

Ben07 

This message was modified Apr 19, 2005 by max427
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #136   Mar 4, 2005 8:04 pm
Just kiddin about the L-88 that 435 is the best of the two as far as I am concerned.  That sucker  can really  roll up the pavement behind you

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #137   Mar 4, 2005 9:53 pm
TomP wrote:
Nice job Marshall.  Best news I have had this week.

When you lean on people they evidently crumble.  Hopefully I will never be on the receiving end.

Tom,

Actually the guy was darn nice and so was I to him. All I did to press him was to ask him to tell me specifically how the difference in horspower and torque were made in these engines, what parts were involved and that I was writing this info down in order to go to the dealer directly and know what to ask for. That is when he just flat out gave it all up and admitted downlabeling on these engines exists.

After we were done with that I told him that I was made aware of the possibility of this and was just wanting to verify if it was correct or not. I told him I am from Oklahoma and don't even have a snowblower, we hung up after laughing about it a bit. I didn't want to hang up and having him feel that he might have made a bad decision to tell me the truth.
sawman

Reply #138   Mar 4, 2005 10:40 pm
Marshall wrote:
OK guys, I just got off the hook with Briggs & Stratton in Milwaukee Wi.

The tech I spoke with in the engine department told me that it is entirely possible that there are engines out there rated at 12 HP and labled 9HP!

I pushed him on it further, he kept to his story and said yes, downlabling is something that is done. He defended it by saying you get more than you paid for. I pressed him saying that I had to buy more machine than I wanted to get 12HP. I told him I wanted a smaller frame with more HP and could have received that for less money than I spent. He thought about it and hesitantly agreed with me. I did not speak of any engines other than the 20G414011E1 snow engines.

I am now convinced.

In a conversation yesterday with a representative of Simplicity, he said that downsizing is an accepted thing in the industry, it is no way cheating the customer because he is actually getting more for his money. The reason he explained is simple economics and by doing this keeps the price down for all affected models. He went on to explain that if Simplicity or any other company needed 100,000 engines, they would get a certain price from the manufacturer, but if they needed 30,000 9hp 10,000 10hp and 60,000 12 hp their costs go up significantly on all models, so they purchase 100,000 of the larger units and downlabel the other models.
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #139   Mar 4, 2005 11:59 pm
I'm thinking of buying a 16hp B&S engine to replace a blown 12.5 vanguard V-twin that is on a tractor I bought that is Identical to mine. Was just wondering if I would be getting 18hp for the price of the 16hp. Apparently not. Darn!

16 HP VANGUARD ENGINES

• Model Series 303700
  • Displacement 29.30 cu. in. (480 cc)
  • Bore 2.68 in. (68 mm)
  • Stroke 2.60 in. (66 mm)
  • Oil Capacity 48.0 fl. oz. (1.42 l) w/o Filter, 56 fl. oz. (1.66 l) w/ Filter

18 HP VANGUARD ENGINES

• Model Series 350700
  • Displacement 34.75 cu. in. (570 cc)
  • Bore 2.83 in. (72 mm)
  • Stroke 2.75 in. (70 mm)
  • Oil Capacity 48.0 fl. oz. (1.42 l) w/o Filter, 56 fl. oz. (1.66 l) w/ Filter

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #140   Mar 5, 2005 5:59 am
Sawman,
With all due respect, I see what the Simplicity guy was saying, but I disagree with him..........(not you).
Yes, the guy who buys a nine HP unit is getting a deal, but , at the risk of beating a dead horse here, the guy who is shopping for the most power is paying more for nothing.

The truth is the truth, and they should be more truthful......mark all  blowers as what they really are in hp, and sell the bigger units for more based on the other features, such as width, accessories, etc.

They could sugar coat this all they want, and justify it with economics, but the bottom line is that it is deceitful. Period.

Now, the question here, seeing that it is now March, and we here only have a few more weeks to snowblow, then we will be talking mowers, is how does this impact lawnmowers?
I've seen riders from 10 hp up to over 20 hp........

I know it is from other reasons, like hydrostatic drive, etc, but my Dad's 35 year old 10hp Allis Chamber mower had more guts then the 20 hp Sears mower I used to have.

Does this affect the smaller push lawn mowers?  Are the 3.5 hp really 5 hp?  I honestly don't know, I'm asking.

Does my exmark with a 20hp Koeller engine really a 20hp....?  My exmark has much more guts then my Sears mower did with a 20 hp Koeller engine.  I think they are different model engines, and I know there are other factors..........

I guess I do not believe any labels anymore, and must check bore, displacement, etc,etc, before buying ANY OPE.

Well, time for work.

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #141   Mar 5, 2005 8:39 am
sawman wrote:
In a conversation yesterday with a representative of Simplicity, he said that downsizing is an accepted thing in the industry, it is no way cheating the customer because he is actually getting more for his money. The reason he explained is simple economics and by doing this keeps the price down for all affected models. He went on to explain that if Simplicity or any other company needed 100,000 engines, they would get a certain price from the manufacturer, but if they needed 30,000 9hp 10,000 10hp and 60,000 12 hp their costs go up significantly on all models, so they purchase 100,000 of the larger units and downlabel the other models.

Hi Pat,

My comments are not directed at you, rather what this representative said to you. 

I think that is the biggest bunch of bull I have ever heard, especially if the rumors are correct and Briggs & Stratton really did buy Simplicity.  Even if they didn't, the other reason they don't tell the consumer they are all 12 HP engines is because many consumers will NOT buy that much machine especially when you look at that huge price tag.  How many on this forum would go and spend well over $1,500.00 on a snowblower, not many that's for sure.  If you don't believe that, I know there are some dealers on this forum.  Try telling your customers that these machines are really 12 HP engines and see how many continue their purchase or say, "well, I don't need a snowblower with that much power, give me one with 8 HP for many hundreds less."  These companies really need to stop their tap dancing around us and their pathetic attempts at public relations.  I bet they never tell you about addtional fuel costs incurred by the consumer to run a machine like that either.   

Richie
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #142   Mar 5, 2005 9:29 am
#1.  Has anyone studied how this effects engine replacement? If my 12 HP craps out after warrenty, am I going to go buy a 12HP for more money when I could buy a 9HP for less and really be getting my 12HP?

#2.  Has anyone found any charts/graphs of HP and Torque on the exact same 9, 10, 11 & 12HP models? If so, how varying are they. If they are all different, someone would have to be ficticiously makeing up those #'s wouldn't they?

(I got 2 soccer games today with my kids or I would spend the time to look all that up.)
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #143   Mar 5, 2005 9:53 am
Marshall wrote:
#1.  Has anyone studied how this effects engine replacement? If my 12 HP craps out after warrenty, am I going to go buy a 12HP for more money when I could buy a 9HP for less and really be getting my 12HP?

Marshall,

When you get a chance, look up that exact engine on a retailers website for the Briggs 12 HP with alternator and starter provisions.  I suspect you will not be very happy if for some reason the engine would require replacing after the warranty.  I'd be amazed if this engine is less than $750.00, I'd imagine it would be more than that, plus a high shipping cost to get it to you.  We already know the HP sticker means nothing, so you would have to purchase a 12 HP, assuming you would want to repower it as it is.

Richie
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #144   Mar 5, 2005 11:41 am
hey ...

we sell the "11 horse" engine over the counter as a replacement engine .same model numbers as the snapper ones.

and we have sold 13 or 14 so far and we sell them for 750 cdn. installed .

we sold them for about 650 installed last year.

not sure what that is in US funds,but it is cheep here,thats why we move so many i guess.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 135 - 144 of 156Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42