Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Pogo Stick Warning

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

Pogo Stick Warning
Original Message   Feb 22, 2005 11:50 pm
Evidently my son left his pogo stick in my neighbor's driveway Sunday.   My neighbor found it yesterday with his Ariens 824 while snowblowing.     It got jammed in the auger and he had to cut it apart with a hacksaw to get it out.  Fortunately for me his machine does not appear to be damaged.   I would caution everyone to carefully check your driveway for errant pogo sticks whenever  the snow starts falling.     -Bob
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Re: Pogo Stick Warning
Reply #1   Feb 23, 2005 12:48 am
Now there is something you don't hear about everyday!  

With my kids I never know what I am going to kick up or pick up lol.....

Glad his machine is OK.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Cajunblu

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Reply #2   Feb 23, 2005 4:17 am
Day before yesterday I was clearing 5" of fresh snow, and picked up a frozen newspaper in front of my neighbors house, but stopped as soon as I saw it shredding and before it got lodged. Then across the street in front of another neighbors house I picked up a flat coke can that shot out of the shoot, and a flat gallon milk jug. No damage. Knock on wood. Last year I broke one shear pin.

So I guess I've been very lucky, thats why I do a walk around before every storm, but you do miss a few things...

Robert

Craftsman 888531 9/28 Easy Steer.

"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles,
and the letters get in the wrong places"

Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #3   Feb 25, 2005 6:05 pm
This brings up an  interesting ehics question. If you snowblow your neighbor's sidewalk, without being asked, and you damage your snowblower because you hit something like a pogo stick let's say, is it your responsibilty to pay for your own repairs? I say yes, because you did the work unsolictited and without pay. What do you say? (No, i'm no lawyer!)

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #4   Feb 25, 2005 6:31 pm
No good deed goes unpunished lol....

I would pay for the damages to my machine, I was not asked to be there.....

Never happened to me yet hopefully never will....

C

This message was modified Feb 25, 2005 by ChrisS

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Termy

Reply #5   Feb 25, 2005 6:40 pm
I know exactly what you meen! As you know, I have a lawncare service and enjoy the work I do. But sometimes I service yards that have kids living there. So naturally, they leave everything laying around the place. Every week, I would have to pick up their crap so that I can mow. Unfortunetly there was a rebar rod in the grass that was impossible to see! When I mowed over it, it got caught up and made the mower engine a sudden stop. BANG!!! I thought right there that the engine was gone! The rod was all caught up in the blade! I had to remove the blade in order to get the rod out. When I put the blade back on, I started the machine, and out of a miracle. Started first pull, no vibration, and shear key was not sheared! I was like WTF??? At least the shear key should have been sheared to protect the engine against something like that? I was thinking, I am so lucky!

So, the point I am trying to make here is that sometimes we can't avoid mistakes like this, but if we try a little harder, mabie we could provent it from happening again. What I did in my situation is that I talked to my cliant and told her what happened and from now on you need to make sure your lawn is free of debree that I can't see! She did just that and I never had a problem sence! Great story...

TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Reply #6   Feb 25, 2005 8:01 pm
Smitty wrote:
This brings up an  interesting ehics question. If you snowblow your neighbor's sidewalk, without being asked, and you damage your snowblower because you hit something like a pogo stick let's say, is it your responsibilty to pay for your own repairs? I say yes, because you did the work unsolictited and without pay. What do you say? (No, i'm no lawyer!)
How about if you clear the sidewalk each and every snow storm?  I think the neighbor has some responsibility in having it "snow thrower" ready. 

Hit a phone book today clearing my neighbors driveway.  Fortunately it was with my Snow Commander so no damage done.  If it was the Simplicity I would have felt differently.  In this case if we don't go 50-50 they will be in the shoveling business the next snow storm.

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
wrecked

Never leave fish to find fish

Reply #7   Feb 26, 2005 10:00 am
TomP,

You may want to do yourself a favor and mention this to your neighbor so she can prep the driveway before the snow comes. If you expect a 50/50 split for repair costs mention this upfront so maybe there will be greater interest in preventing this from happening in the first place.
Good luck.

Chris

OPE:John Deere 180 w/plow,Toro 724, Redmax EB6200, Craftsman 2400 psi PW, 24 Grady w/Mariner 200 Offshore
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42