Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh Gas Cap Design

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
newtonian

Tecumseh Gas Cap Design
Original Message   Feb 21, 2005 10:27 pm
What's the metal disk and foam thing that's on the underside of a Tecumseh gas cap designed to do?

Discovered on my first gas refill that the parts on mine fell into the gas tank.  Fished them out but don't see how they stay on the shaft -- perhaps a clip broke off I haven't retreived.

Will replace cap, but for now was just wondering what that stuff does......

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Replies: 3 - 12 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Re: Tecumseh Gas Cap Design
Reply #3   Feb 22, 2005 5:25 pm
the aluminum disc is held on by a small plastic NUB thats part of the cap.it is quite common for it to fall off.and usually about 5 minutes your tank AIRLOCKS and your engine quits.

causes a lot of trouble sometimes.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #4   Feb 23, 2005 12:38 pm
Those parts under the cap are supposed to let air in the tank as it empties, but prevent gas from squirting out the vent hole all over your engine.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
newtonian

Tecumseh Gas Cap Design
Reply #5   Feb 23, 2005 4:34 pm
That must be why it stalled so much cleaning up a minor snowfall.... I thought it didn't like the new fuel or that snow snuck in the tank when I wasn't looking.

Information appreciated;  won't put off getting another cap. 

Thank you. 

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

al_in_nh

Reply #6   Feb 23, 2005 7:27 pm
I looked at the cap for my pretty new Toro 828lxe.  The first thing in there was a cone shaped rubber cup that slips over the round shaft of the cap. This rubber thing pulls off the shaft very easy.  underneath the rubber is the foam thing.  My Toro has never stalled, but that cap sure seems to tighten itself as I use the blower.  I need a glove on to loosen the cap.  Could it be that some parts are missing and the vacuum is pulling in on the cap too much?  I didn't see any kind of a disk in there unless it is uder the foam thing whick I never removed.
This message was modified Feb 23, 2005 by al_in_nh
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #7   Feb 24, 2005 5:33 pm
al ...

you have the new style cap,no problems reported yet with it.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
al_in_nh

Reply #8   Feb 24, 2005 6:22 pm
Thanks Chris.
Neil

Reply #9   Feb 25, 2005 9:31 am
I have the 8526 LE Ariens and noticed the foam thing when I first used the blower and removed the cap.  Didnt find any metal ring or clip.  Emptied the tank and saw nothing inside.

However on the first use, it stalled twice and when I remove the cap (chekcing gas level) I saw the foam square (1/2 " sq) fell out.  Since then with the cap on and 3 more uses, with no problem.  I looked at the cap design and saw a rubber funner type that inside the cap and saw how it vents to the outside but so far no gas spilled.

Should I continue or buy a new cap?

Thanks,
Neil on Long Island
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #10   Feb 25, 2005 10:06 am
Neil wrote:

Should I continue or buy a new cap?

Hello fellow Long Islander,

Neil, I would purchase a new cap since they've been redesigned.  This way you won't have to be concerned about it coming apart and plugging up the fuel tank. 

Richie
Neil

Reply #11   Feb 25, 2005 10:38 am
Richie:

Hey there, I am in North Bellomre, how about you?

The foam part came off and the clip is not in the tank (must have fell off into the snow).  The current rubber part (that is funnel shape) in no way can fall apart or come loose .... Will this be cover under warranty? or just get  the damn new cover ?

Neil
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #12   Feb 25, 2005 12:52 pm
Neil,

If your warranty is in force, then they'll give you a new one.  I'd call your dealer and explain it to him.  Perhaps it would suffice to grab your receipt and bring the old cap to him.  I'm in the Manhasset area myself. 

Richie
Replies: 3 - 12 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42