Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > yardman wheels just stopped!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jgreen

yardman wheels just stopped!
Original Message   Feb 21, 2005 8:52 pm
my old  1980 Yardman let me down  while clearing  or so inches after work today.    It  started after about   6-10  pulls   it would sputter and black smoke would come out the muffler.   Anyway  it finally started and I i warmed it up and started to clear the drive   I made the first pass and punched through the EOD.  I turned the blower and put it in reverse.... Nothing!  it wouldnt move.  I tried all 5 forward speeds ans both reverse   but the wheels didnt move one bit.    Motor was running fine and augers were moving.  it was too dark to work on it tonight  .I ended up using my 4.5hp single stage to finish the job.   So what do you all think caused this sudden drive failure?  I will work on it this weekend   .What should I be checking. ?

FYI for those who dont know   this is a 5hp 1980 yarman  two stage blower.

John
Scotts 21" self propelled  mower
MTD  4.5 HP single stage snow thrower
Snapper 3 HP single stage snow thrower
Yardman 5HP two stage snowblower
Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Re: yardman wheels just stopped!
Reply #11   Feb 26, 2005 4:28 pm
Hi John. I guess we were posting at the same time. Glad you got it fixed. Nice to fix it for a few pennies, for what at first seems like a major problem. If you read my new post, the shear pin didn't hold. I'll fix mine tomorrow.
                                                    Have a good weekend,          Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #12   Feb 27, 2005 9:00 am
the pin you broke was in the wheel?

sorry i thought you broke the bolt inside ...the one that the gear is fastened to the axle with.

as long as you got it going ,thats the main thing.

looks like weather is on the way.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
nibbler

Reply #13   Feb 27, 2005 10:06 am
jgreen wrote:
I got a chance to look at it today.  I tipped it up and opened the bottom cover......   out fell two  rusted sheared off 1/4 bolts !  (they hold the wheel to the axle)     All I had to do is  drive out the broken bits  and replace with two   new hardened bolts   with locking nuts. That seemed to do the trick. it took me longer to go to the hardware store to buy the 63 cents worth of bolts than it did to fix it.

john

Its been my experience that regular bolts don't work. I got a bag of locking pins from a local OPE shop. They have a ring at one end that can be rotated towards the other. You put the pin in through the hub on the wheel and then through the axle, rotate the ring and the whole thing is locked on. They seem to last a lot longer than any bolt I've tried.
Vangellis

Reply #14   Feb 27, 2005 10:49 am
snowshoveler wrote:
the pin you broke was in the wheel?

sorry i thought you broke the bolt inside ...the one that the gear is fastened to the axle with.

as long as you got it going ,thats the main thing.

looks like weather is on the way.

later chris

Hi Chris. It was the pin on the inside. It holds the solid left axle and the hollowed right axle together. You'll notice in the picture, at the top of the axle, where the pin goes in. You have to look close. So I take it I still go with the bolt and the locknut. I'll give it a try anyway. I think I got about 6 hours use before this one broke.
                                                                                              Thanks for your help,     Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
SnowPro

Reply #15   Feb 27, 2005 2:11 pm
First off...........John and Kevin are talking about 2 different things.  Kevin's machine has a diff. and John's does not. 

Kevin: Sorry to hear of your bad luck? Do you have the axle unlocked on your machine?  If you don't, then the differential is not being used and you are having to work that machine much harder when turning around.  The reason that the roll pin broke on you again is that it can't take the torque of turning the machine around, ESPECIALLY, if the you have the clutch engaged when doing so.  If you unlock the axle and release the clutch to turn around, that pin should last you a long time.  Your differential will also be working then and making life much easier.  Believe me you will still get great traction with your machine if you unlock that right wheel.  NONE of my machines EVER have the axle locked, and I don't even think I  could come up with a time when we felt we had to lock one up for traction. 

Back in the day when I started doing driveways commercially, I always had the axle locked (for traction) and had to work so much harder at turning the machine around each time.  Mainly because my first machine didn't have a diff. so I didn' t know any better. I used to break that roll pin regularly, until my dad ( with the small engine business) "slapped me behind the head" and told me that I should have the axle unlocked and that would make life easier.  I didn't even realize what the diff. was supposed to be doing before that!   Found out that a little education goes a long way!  Now,  I still break one every once in a while, BUT, that is after several HUNDRED times of use.   You have to expect that when you use a machine close to 1000 times a season that things are going to wear!

BTW, Kevin, you will not find a bolt to fit in that spot that will last very long.  Small bolts like that will shear very easily.  Only a roll pin or a spring pin will fit.

Ken

Vangellis

Reply #16   Feb 27, 2005 7:33 pm
OK. Now I'm confused.  LOL 
Anyway, I ended up just putting a new 3/16 x 1 1/2 roll pin back in the two axles.

"BTW, Kevin, you will not find a bolt to fit in that spot that will last very long.  Small bolts like that will shear very easily.  Only a roll pin or a spring pin will fit."

Well, first of all, I could not find a #8 hard 3/16 x 1 1/2 bolt at the store. I guess they start at 1/4. I would have had to drill the axles out. Not so sure I wanted to do that. Thats why I just put the roll pin in.

Ken, My blower does have a variable-ratio limited-slip differential, but I'm confused there too. My left wheel has the large wing nut on it. Turn clockwise to reduce slip or lock the wheels. Turn the wingnut counterclockwise to unlock the wheels and increase the slipping action of the differential for easy turning. I've tried to unlock the wheels by the directions in the manual, but they still stay locked. I can move the machine around fine, but would like to try it without the wheels locked. Any reason why they won't come unlocked? Any suggestions are appreciated.
                                                                                                                                       Thanks,  Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
robmints

Reply #17   Feb 27, 2005 7:55 pm
Kevin,
i know nothing about your machine.

A # 10 bolt is about 3/16. Most socket head cap screws are grade 8 or better. Mcmaster-Carr or any fastener supply house will have them.
Vangellis

Reply #18   Feb 27, 2005 7:59 pm
robmints wrote:
Kevin,
i know nothing about your machine.

A # 10 bolt is about 3/16. Most socket head cap screws are grade 8 or better. Mcmaster-Carr or any fastener supply house will have them.

Apparently, neither do I, but I'm working on it.   LOL                               

Simplicity Conquest
SnowPro

Reply #19   Feb 27, 2005 8:22 pm
That locking mechanism has a habit of seizing up with time. Usually in the locked position as that is where most people leave it.   That.......completely defeats the purpose of having a diff. equipped machine.   I have a couple of friends that have the very same machine as you, Kevin.  Both were seized up.  Once they were freed up and working properly again, the machines were nicer to operate.

You should not need a hardend bolt in that application.  I DO NOT recommend drilling out the holes and putting in a 1/4" bolt ,as the sides of the connecting rod are pretty thin already with the 3/16" holes in them.  I have broken that rod a couple of times from "regular use"  and it has ALWAYS  snapped where the holes are.  I keep a spare around now.  But that is just me, I can't have any down time.  Sounds like you have a bit of tinkering to do.  To me, that is almost as fun as playing (I mean) working  with your snowblower!

BTW............you will know that your diff. is working properly when you make a 180 degree turn (say left, with the machine not running and the clutch not engaged) and the left wheel is rotating backward and the right wheel is rotating forward.

HTH,

Ken

This message was modified Feb 27, 2005 by SnowPro
Vangellis

Reply #20   Feb 27, 2005 8:41 pm
Hi Ken. I didn't want to drill the holes out for the reason you stated. As far as the diff, are there any tricks I can try to get it loose or just hope it does it on it's own? I just loosened it up today. Perhaps just running it around in this next storm may do it. We'll see.

Thanks for your help,   Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42