Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Conversation with Simplicity

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Conversation with Simplicity
Original Message   Feb 21, 2005 3:59 pm
Hi guys,

Called Briggs with the spec # on the Simplicity I am looking at . The guy was very nice!! Called me back and spent a lot of time  but couldn't find the exact # I gave him. He said he was 90% sure the spec# I gave him  is an aluminum bore engine. What he was able to give me was the Phone # for Simplicity which I couldn't get on Friday. For you Simplicity fans the #is (262)284-8669.Hit 2 on your phone after you get through to get to the tech dept. Real interesting conversation with that gentleman.

1)All the engines in the large frame line are the same except for the 13hp unit."If you buy the the 9560E,1060DLXE,1170Eor 1280E you get the same engine."

When I asked him why he said it's more cost effective to power everything with the 12hp engine than to buy different engines for each model. He was very specific about saying the engine is the 12. The stickers are different.

2)" All the engines are aluminum bore models because they are the same engine" Simplicity chose to go with aluminum bore because they run cooler and in an environment absent of dust and dirt the cast iron isn't necessary.Today"s Aluminum alloys wear very well under winter conditions according to their tests."

3)"I should consider using the Briggs synthetic oil because it doubles  the life of the warranty. There is a chemical dye in the oil that colors the internal parts of the engine. If you have a failure they check for the color and you get a replacement." Sounds like a good deal to me.

4)He suggested using Simplicity part #1704636 to lubricate the gearbox. Infomed me that it is really a Snapper lubricant and that when Simplicity bought Snapper they found it worked very well. Said it doesen't thicken in the cold as much as other gear oils.

I pressed him a little on the aluminum bore issue reminding him that Simplicity used cast iron bore Tecumsehs before Briggs bought the company. He said that the purchase by Briggs had nothing to do with it.Simplicity started using Briggs three years ago when the Snow Intek first came out. He reminded me this was before Simplicity was bought by Briggs.When I asked him why the change he said there were too many issues with the Tecumseh carburetors .

I went to the Briggs web site and spent some time looking at their replacement engine spec. book. Sure enough there are 9,10 and 11 hp. engines of the same displacement. To further confuse/enlighten me they listed engines of the same horse power that have different displacements.And to further confuse the issue Briggs does not list a 12 hp engine. 

I have a headache,

Marc

This message was modified Mar 2, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 68 - 77 of 156Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: Conversation with Simplicity
Reply #68   Feb 24, 2005 1:50 pm
Richie wrote:
Carburetion, compression, ignition, and muffler.  

porting, valve size and timing, piston shape, weight of some parts
robmints

Reply #69   Feb 24, 2005 1:53 pm
nibbler wrote:
I don't think you can "pick up" HP in a gear box unless your referring to losses due to friction. A gear box doesn't change the amount of energy per time ( HP, KWH, joules per second, whatever) it changes the speed and the torque. One goes up the other goes down.

I would think of a gear box as a torque multiplier.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #70   Feb 24, 2005 2:08 pm
robmints wrote:
I would think of a gear box as a torque multiplier.

I would think of it as a speed selector. LOL 
robmints

Reply #71   Feb 24, 2005 2:40 pm
I sure wish I could figure out those smiley things.  Because I would find a real special one,  just for you Marshall. If you turned it on it's side it might look like a smile.
Marshall

Reply #72   Feb 24, 2005 3:03 pm
Hahahahahahaha!

That would be the very first time a derriere has ever been used in association to a description or depiction of my blooming personality .  
robmints

Reply #73   Feb 24, 2005 6:12 pm

This is what I think of when I think of you, Marshall.
You are a peach after all.
jubol

Reply #74   Feb 24, 2005 6:15 pm
  Rob,

Also he might be a little "Fuzzy" at times !!

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Reply #75   Feb 24, 2005 8:02 pm
For whatever this is worth I was looking through the Briggs website and found horsepower ratings for engines in the spark plug section:

spark plugs

Seems to say the 20G400 series is a 11 hp engine.

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #76   Feb 24, 2005 8:41 pm
Hi Guys! Tom- That's correct because notice in the "20" cubic inch engine category they don't admit to a 12hp engine. How can they have a plug reccomendation for an engine they don't produce.

But if you look at the Simplicity line of large frame blowers you see a 20G414011E1 badged as a 12hp.engine. In addition while it is as yet unconfirmed it would appear that the 12hp in the Snapper line is also a 20G414011E1.

Marc

This message was modified Feb 24, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Marshall

Reply #77   Feb 24, 2005 9:26 pm
LINT, WHERE ARE YOU, WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON ALL THIS? I KNOW YOU HAVE AN OPINION.  
Replies: 68 - 77 of 156Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42