Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Murray snowblower question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ryegge

Murray snowblower question
Original Message   Feb 21, 2005 11:55 am
Hello Everyone,

I purchased a 8HP Murray snowblower about threer weeks ago. I really like the features and how it handles. With the cab I added, it is really warm even in our harsh cold and wind up here in NE Wisconsin.

Last night when I went out to blow the 9 inches of snow we received, the blower ran for about ten minutes then just shut down. I could get it started with a couple of pumps of the choke and a single pull. It would then run for about 30 seconds to a couple of minutes, then shut down again. After trying this for an hour, I ended up shoveling!!

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks!

Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

Re: Murray snowblower question
Reply #13   Feb 21, 2005 2:26 pm
WELCOME- Just a thought crossed my mind in the post above on drilling new vent holes:( not to be taken wrong please) but, be sure if you drill your cap..do it on a bench and not while it is on machine, filings..ect..    Gene 
ryegge

Reply #14   Feb 21, 2005 2:46 pm
Geno,

good suggestion, you hope people are smart enough to know that, but I know a few who would not know it.

bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #15   Feb 21, 2005 3:54 pm
Ryegge:

Here is my two cents worth...I don't think that your problem is with the gas cap.  I would look for the following:

1) Does you blower have a fuel filter? If so it might be clogged.

2) If it does not, perhaps some crap got carried up into the carburator and is plugging a passage.

3) I know I will hear some feedback on this one...Possibly the fuel line and tank has some water in it....A small amount of isopropyl fuel deicer might do the trick.

Does the blower start today?  Also, you did not mention this is it a new machine?  If so, you might want to just bring it back and let the mechanics mess with it.

bbwb

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #16   Feb 21, 2005 4:24 pm
Hi Ryege-

Loosen the fuel cap and see if it will keep running. If it does the vent was clogged, probably with ice. I would leave the cap alone. The clogging of the cap while running is a common occurence and easily cured by loosening. I RESPECTFULLY submit that drilling the cap will serve to alow more moisture to be absorbed into the tank . This is not a good thing. It is the reason that gas cans are sealed.

If your MTD has a Teumseh look under the gas tank for an inline fuel valve. You should make it a practice to close it after using the machine. That way the fuel can't drain into the carburetor if the float sticks. If it is Briggs powered the shut off is a lever on the carb shroud next to the other carb controls. Of course you will have to remember to turn it on the next time you use it which is something I always forget.

Marc  

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #17   Feb 21, 2005 6:03 pm
there are no vent holes in any snow engines less than 20 years old...

there are however many problems with the tecumseh gas caps .we sell about 25 of them every year.

this year they changed the design on the new ones so maybe they will actually work.

the problem with them is that there is a little aluminum disc inside the cap that retains a rubber flap with 4 spaced notches in it there is also a small piece of sponge above the rubber.

the cap vents by using the threads of the tank,nice idea and it works until the aluminum disc falls off and the rubber and sponge fall in the tank.

if you dont notice it the engine will only run a few minutes and will quit every time .

look at the inside of the cap ,if the disc and rubber is there then you have another problem.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #18   Feb 21, 2005 6:21 pm
bbwb wrote:

3) I know I will hear some feedback on this one...Possibly the fuel line and tank has some water in it....A small amount of isopropyl fuel deicer might do the trick.

Robert,

Sounds like a great suggestion to me

Richie
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #19   Feb 21, 2005 6:27 pm
I would think when the snow melts around those holes that have been drilled, water will get into the tank.  Unless it is a very small hole, like a pin hole.  I haven't seen a drill bit that small.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #20   Feb 21, 2005 7:54 pm
In all of my years with the tecumseh engines, I have never had a problem with the gas cap.  My hunch is that something has blocked the fuel supply to the carb, such as float sticking, or a jet getting plugged.  By pushing the primer bulb and pressurizing the carburator bowl, indicates that fuel is not making up into the carb on its own.

Now for the stupid question, what is the fuel level in the tank?  If it low, and the blower is on an incline, it might have just plain run out of gas.

Many of the new tecumseh engines do not come with a fuel filter or fuel shut off.  It depends on the manufacturer of the blower and their specifications.  I had to add both to my blower.

bbwb

ryegge

Reply #21   Feb 28, 2005 10:20 am
Thank you to all who responded to my original question.

Yes, it did turn out to be the gas cap. The cap that came with thesnowblower was missing the insert inside the cap. Once they gave me a new cap, it worked just fine. I am really glad as I had to use it last night for the new snowfall we received.

newtonian

Murray snowblower question
Reply #22   Mar 1, 2005 7:49 am
I had the same problem and posted here:

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/7953-0-1.html

You'll likely find some presents consisting of an aluminum disc and other materials sloshing around in your tank.

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42