Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow On The Way Long Island

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Snow On The Way Long Island
Original Message   Feb 20, 2005 2:28 pm
Amounts increased to 4"-7" and will start coming down hours earlier than originally predicted.  Have a good one, Long Islander's

Richie
Replies: 26 - 35 of 35Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: Snow On The Way Long Island
Reply #26   Feb 27, 2005 11:04 pm
6-12" here.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #27   Mar 8, 2005 2:17 pm
Wow, this snow is coming down in buckets on Long Island.  Temperature suddenly dropped from 42 degrees to 27 degrees in just a few hours.  I was going to service and store my snowblower this weekend, guess not
This message was modified Mar 8, 2005 by Richie

Richie
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #28   Mar 8, 2005 2:24 pm
I work in northwest NJ and we got 2" of snow on the ground in 2 hours. It's gosh darn cold and windy to boot. It's the heaviest I've seen snow come down all winter. And the weather people ALL said no accumulations today, it was supposed to be rain turning to snow flurries tonight. Must be nice to have a job that pays pretty good and allows you to be wrong half the time.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #29   Mar 8, 2005 3:08 pm
Yeah, this wind is what I expected that last storm they ranted about being a classic Nor' easter to be.  This little storm caught me off guard too, I didn't expect the temperature to drop below 32 degees.  The sun has just finished melting all the snow on all the lawns around here, now all you see is white   Looks like I'll be using my snowblower for the first time at night, glad I have a decent halogen headlite.  Be safe everyone on those icey roads.

Richie
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #30   Mar 8, 2005 9:45 pm
Richie:

This is not fair...I have only had one good snow fall since changing carbs....how do you rate to get more snow.  The weatherman said that we might get 1 or 2 inches Wednesday or Thursday.  Minnesota winters are not what they used to be

bbwb

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #31   Mar 9, 2005 6:56 am
Hey Robert,

It did snow here pretty hard all day, but we ended up with only about 3"  After it stopped snowing, the wind kicked up really bad and easily was gustying to 50 MPH.  All that was left outside this morning was mostly a 1/2" of ice over everything and some minor 6" drifts here and there.  So I won't be using the snowblower this time around.  However, since the temperature here is 14 degrees, I'm going to run it since that was the temperature this Tecumseh engine originally experienced the surging, which is why I changed carburetors.   Not to mention I do want to use up the oxygenated fuel in it and store it after running non-oxygenated fuel through it.  I'm pretty sure they stop using oxygenated fuels starting around March 1st. 

Richie
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #32   Mar 9, 2005 11:15 am
We had at least 10 inches. Can’t tell for sure because the wind was gusting to over 40MPH most of the night moving a lot of the snow around. I waited until this AM to get out the blower and used the drift cutters for the first time. The Ariens performed flawlessly as usual, starting with one pull and running at full throttle for 1.3 hours.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #33   Mar 12, 2005 7:09 am
After 1:00am the snow moved in on us again.  Woke up to about nearly 3" so far and it just started picking up at about 7:00 am this morning.  At 30 degrees here, it's sticking very well.  Very strange weather pattern we are in which is the same pattern for the last month of snow falls.  No question about a late winter in the north east.  I'm going to consider purchasing a snowmobile in October 2005

Richie
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #34   Mar 12, 2005 7:33 am
We have about the same here. Still snowing. We are concerned about a late Spring as we have a market garden and usually start planting peas in late March and getting early crops in the ground (we start plants inside under lights) in April for the first market on May 7. There is at least a foot of snow on the ground in most areas; more where it has drifted. I'm going to try to till the ground in our unheated greenhouse if it isn't frozen. On sunny days the temps in there get over 80 F.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #35   Mar 12, 2005 11:01 am
gardening eh...well there are some folks around here that will shovel the snow off there garden just so they can plant peas before anyone else...crazy in my opinion. but i plan on doing some gardening a little later on.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 26 - 35 of 35Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42