Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Gear oil

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
OldToroOwner

Gear oil
Original Message   Feb 15, 2005 8:58 pm
I was wondering if anyone knew the weight of Ariens L2 gear lube??

I need to change my gear oil in the Toro, 824.

It calls for 80w-90 and it also has an aluminum gear box, so I'm hoping it would be compareable, if not better!

Any thoughts??...

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
mrmom

Re: Gear oil
Reply #1   Feb 15, 2005 9:15 pm
Safest way to go would be to stick to what the manual tells you. That way if any issues come up down the road and you are looking to the warranty to cover repairs, you're in good shape.
robmints

Reply #2   Feb 15, 2005 9:32 pm
When I see L2, I think Lithium and grade 2 like EP2. Like grease. That is not 80w90 like oil.

Snowmann

Re: How To Remove Gearcase Assembly ON Ariens 824
Reply #21   Jan 27, 2005 11:35 pm
L2 lube is a special 90W AGMA 5 gear oil, not grease. I would not assume just because there is grease in the gearcase that it should take grease. After all, there were nails for shear pins right? I believe there was a liquid #00 grease used at one time, as well as  lithium complex #2 EP-rated grease. For worm gearcases make sure you get an EP rated grease and not the standard stuff. I'll check your model for you tomorrow to see what lube it takes. A serial number would really help out for this. It should be six digits long right below the model #.

The parts manual probably calls out the shaft/gear combo. It's likely you can get the gear alone, but not recommended. If the current worm shaft were damaged you could ruin the replacement gear. If you re-use the shaft, be sure it is perfectly straight and make sure there's no damage to the worm profile (most times the damage, typical bent shafts, is not easy to see without V-blocks and a height gauge). The gears are made from manganese silicide bronze with a partical hardness of Rc70 (micro hardness, not macro). Pretty hard, but a damaged worm shaft can tear it up in no time.

PK

But Paul says otherwise.
OldToroOwner

Reply #3   Feb 15, 2005 9:33 pm
Not too worried about warranty issues, being this is a 20+ year old machine....but I hear what you're saying.

Just thought someone would know if Ariens stuff  meets or exceeds plain 'ole 80-90 weght oil.

If it does, I'd like to use the same stuff for both my newer Ariens 724 & my  1984 Toro! 

robmints

Reply #4   Feb 15, 2005 9:34 pm
I know that last post did not make too much sense. Please excuse me, but it looks like L2 is a 90w oil.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42