Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How Often Do You Change Your Oil?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Termy

How Often Do You Change Your Oil?
Original Message   Feb 12, 2005 1:02 am
How Often Do You Change Your Oil in your OPE?

Many probably want to know what the going rate is or what they should do.

I say do it every year. I do

Replies: 14 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: How Often Do You Change Your Oil?
Reply #14   Feb 13, 2005 8:51 am
I change mine at the intervals prescribed in the manual and at the end of the season even if this means changing the oil only after a few hours use. I don't want used oil sitting in the engine.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #15   Feb 13, 2005 10:58 am
End of season.  I empty and usually don't refill till next season. ( tag them, mark them, fool proof them from starting to help ensure someone don forget to put new oil in next season).  Is that a good practice, yes if yor are gonna fog and store it for a couple of years, r in the case of a lawnmower, then you can store a couple with the handles off standing on their side,  but for yearly storage, your probable just the same refilling it right away).

Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #16   Feb 13, 2005 5:17 pm
Small OPE engine invemtion...

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an easily removable oil cartridge that unscewed and discarded with most of the old oil in it... and a new one filled with oil put back on... ?

EZ off...   EZ on...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #17   Feb 13, 2005 5:59 pm
LOL, that would be cool!

How about an engine that didn't need oil, it used super lube impregnated steel. A steel so slick that it lubed itself even as it wears. 

OK, you're cartridge idea might be easier. 
robmints

Reply #18   Feb 13, 2005 7:20 pm
Ben07 wrote:
End of season.  I empty and usually don't refill till next season. ( tag them, mark them, fool proof them from starting to help ensure someone don forget to put new oil in next season).  Is that a good practice, yes if yor are gonna fog and store it for a couple of years, r in the case of a lawnmower, then you can store a couple with the handles off standing on their side,  but for yearly storage, your probable just the same refilling it right away).

Ben07

Ben07,
I do something like this with my outboard. I just leave the bowl drains out so I don't forget. All I need to think about in the spring is the spider that might like to nest in the bowl. Not much of a concern.
This message was modified Feb 13, 2005 by robmints
Le_Quebecois

The best thing to keep an engine in good shape is to starting it once a week all year long.

Reply #19   Feb 14, 2005 3:54 pm
I change my oil when it's getting a little dark and when it smell like metal but it's important to clean the engine after the drain pour some fresh oil crank the engine without starting it re-drained so you will be sure that all contaminant are going to be out ,

I love my wife
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #20   Feb 14, 2005 5:28 pm
every time i replace the rod i change the oil.

just kidding ,i change it after last snow of season and after first snow of season.

gives me fresh oil all the time.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
skippertoo

Reply #21   Feb 14, 2005 6:05 pm
I do mine at the end of the season but in the South that is December !
millwright

MIllwrights keep the world running

Reply #22   Feb 14, 2005 8:46 pm
What does a liter of oil cost $3.00 after 2 uses pour old stuff on fire when out on rink with the kids.

millwright

Termy

Reply #23   Apr 22, 2005 3:55 am
Ayone remember this thread? ...haha...

anyway, with many people out there bringing there mowers out for mowing, mabie they should take a look at this old thread. And if anybody wants to add there opinion, please do...

Replies: 14 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42