Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What's you favorite Cordless Drill?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

What's you favorite Cordless Drill?
Original Message   Feb 12, 2005 10:02 pm
I'm looking for one around 14-18 volts. There a lot of models to choose from, just curious about which model others like? I would kind of like to spend no more than $100

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
Replies: 15 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
18Degrees

Re: What's you favorite Cordless Drill?
Reply #15   Feb 13, 2005 4:03 pm
I have used the De-Walt 18v 4pc. kit for five years. It was an fairly good drill, somewhat clunky and heavy for the power it had, but good for the price. My Bocsh 14.4v had the same power as the De-walt 18v.  I perfer the Bosch 18v the most., but all overpriced for your search that you are doing for this thread.  Stay away from Millwaukee cordless tools=they are junk.  Millwaukee corded tools are great, but whoever makes their cordless stuff for them needs an enema.      

18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
Emmo

Reply #16   Feb 13, 2005 4:09 pm
I'll check in for Makita,  I got lucky and got a new M-force 12 volt at agent Orange for $100.  (Grand Opening special)

I bought an extra for my Dad.  At that time there was a $20 rebate on them, bringing my net to $80!

I like the 12V, due to the weight factor and its' slighty smaller size allows me to get in tighter spaces.  The NiMH batteries are much better than the Nicads on my old Makita.
I also like the balance.  It has enough torque for what I need, 310 in lbs.  I've used it to build a deck  etc.  Will work as fast as I can and the batts. charge very quikly.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #17   Feb 13, 2005 4:45 pm
Smitty...

You're right... many many choices... tooooo many...
Think about and describe your needs/wants...

What tasks will you use it for... and which task is most important ? Use how often ?

What are your criteria for selection...?
#1 seems price... ~$100
#2 ?
#3 ?

Some are better for heavy duty jobs...
some for tight places...
some for scews and slip clutch effectiveness... versus drilling... which is more important ?
some for weight...
some for battery use among other cordless tools...
keyless chuck ?
variable speed ?
2 speed ranges ?
reversible ?
battery type ?
recharge time ?
run time important ?
1 or 2 batteries ?
etc...

Dave...
This message was modified Feb 13, 2005 by Dave___in___CT

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #18   Feb 13, 2005 8:31 pm
EMMO, MY SON!!!

I take back whatever I said when I kicked you out of the house.  Please bring the new drill over right away, I have a glass of Ice Tea waiting for you along with a sandwich...

My Makita also had the NiMH batteries.  They were a relatively new product at the time when I got the drill but lasted quite a long time.

Walt

boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

Reply #19   Feb 13, 2005 9:28 pm
I have had a nice Ryobi for 10 years which I just replaced with an 18V DeWalt.  The Ryobi still worked fine with the orginal battery packs though running time was progressively less and less.  The newer Ryobis do not seem as well made but Consumers rated the 18V Ryobi a best buy at $110 (and a Panasonic best overall at $250).    Ryobi makes most of the Sears cordless drills too I recall.  I'm very happy with the DeWalt so far.   -Bob
This message was modified Feb 13, 2005 by boblloyd
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #20   Feb 14, 2005 1:27 am
I have a Skil 12 volt and haven't used more than a Skil drill.  The 12 volt appears to have a 120 volt backup that you can put in instead of a battery.  I wonder if Manufacturers have that design.  I know Skil has the 1 hour chargers now.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Le_Quebecois

The best thing to keep an engine in good shape is to starting it once a week all year long.

Reply #21   Feb 14, 2005 4:07 pm
Black and Decker has very good product now with the competition skill, Millwaukee, etc they need to impove a lot and the price is good too only one thing battery pack are very fragile they could crack very easy in cold weater if you drop it. But globaly I prefer them to the others

I love my wife
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #22   Feb 14, 2005 4:52 pm
I have used and owned I think all, of the above mentioned.  I am 100% partial to Milwaukee tools.  You can p/u an 18volt hammer drill driver for about $130.  Lots of deals all the time trhat you can get a nice combo package, i.e. sawzall ,drill, flashlight, etc. cheap.  Of the other choices mentioned, I would put Dewalt in 2nd place.  Other off/cheaper brands will get ya by, but treat them like a disposable lighter, they can and will break fairly easily under moderate use.  In my business I'm a heavy user, and MIL stands up better than the rest IMHO. 
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #23   Feb 14, 2005 5:34 pm
Incidently, if you find MILwaukee and or Dewalt are more than you wanna spend, the next step down, that would be an adequate average homeowner use, is Porter Cable.  Alot of my installers use them w/ good results. 
skippertoo

Reply #24   Feb 14, 2005 6:08 pm
Go with 18 volt but not less than 14.4. Dewalt is best overall in my opinion but if you don't really use it a lot Ryobi is probable good enough. My wife bought me one of those sets (the works) for Christmas and so far I am very happy.
Replies: 15 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42