Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens ST724 won't drive

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
nipper

Ariens ST724 won't drive
Original Message   Jan 22, 2012 5:40 pm
Hi-

I have an Ariens ST724 (model 924075), which has stopped powering forward when I press the drive clutch lever. I took off the bottom cover to see if it was something fairly easy to repair/replace, like a belt, and I found a broken spring lying in the cover.  I'm guessing this is the root of my problem! I can't really afford to bring it to a shop, so I was hoping to be able to fix it myself.  Here are a couple of details:

• The auger seems to keep moving now, even when I release the clutch lever.
  • For a while after it stopped powering forward, it DID work in reverse, but no longer does.

Here is a picture of the broken spring and the drive plate, etc.:

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Nipper

Replies: 16 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
trouts2

Re: Ariens ST724 won't drive
Reply #16   Apr 19, 2019 1:06 pm

I have a similar problem drive problem with an old Ariens 724.  The factory numbers are rubbed off but 924028’ish. 

I put in a hardware store tensioner spring last year but it fell out on the first storm so no drive.  I have other machines so sidelined it until warm weather.  I forgot how I installed it so back to Abby’s and found the answer. 

Nice post so I’ll get the spring placed in a few days.  I remember most of the posters so know it’s reliable info.     I learned a ton on Abby’s over the years.  Where is Borat these days?

Replies: 16 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42