Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help me choose between an old Ariens and old Toro

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
BeansBaxter

Help me choose between an old Ariens and old Toro
Original Message   Feb 9, 2017 9:21 am
I have a Ariens 10M7D from 1968 that is on its second motor and hums along fairly well with all the little tweaks that an older machine needs. It's not the most user-friendly machine but it does the job.

I've been given a Toro 724 from 1986 that needs a carburetor replacement but is claimed to be otherwise fully functional. It looks like a more user-friendly machine which is nice for when somebody other than me needs to operate it.

I don't have room to store both so one has to go.

What is the collective opinion of these two machines? Obviously the Ariens has withstood the test of time quite well. The Toro is an unknown commodity to me. Assuming both are in good working order, is there a strong reason to choose one over the other?

This message was modified Feb 9, 2017 by BeansBaxter
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Moderator Denis

Re: Help me choose between an old Ariens and old Toro
Reply #1   Feb 9, 2017 10:46 am
I think the Ariens has a 5 HP TECUMSEH engine, In my opinion I would go with the Toro (B&S engine).Parts are little more expensive but It's worth It. Up to you.

BeansBaxter

Reply #2   Feb 9, 2017 12:22 pm
I should have mentioned that the Ariens came with a 7 HP engine and was replaced with an 8 HP Tecumseh engine. The Toro has a 7 HP Tecumseh.
Moderator Denis

Reply #3   Feb 10, 2017 9:39 am
Well an 8 HP engine is better :) IT's a big decision, so far you don't have space for both. Carburator on B&S is expensive! think about It. Good Luck!

RIT333

Reply #4   Feb 10, 2017 8:54 pm
People have had very good results buying a $14 Chinese carb off EBay.  Look on Snowblowerforum.com

Does one machine have less rust or better tires ?

I own both a Toro and an Ariens, and feel that they are very comparable.  Do you have preference for Orange over Red ?  LOL
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42