Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Gas Cans

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
robmints

Gas Cans
Original Message   Feb 11, 2005 7:39 pm
Any one know of a good way to modify one of these spill proof gas cans to not spill so much gas.

You almost always need to hold the spring loaded nozzle open while you are trying to fill a tank or pour into a funnel. All the while, the you are trying to watch the gas go in the tank at a terribly slow rate. Instead you are knocking over the funnel or pouring the gas down the side of the tank.

I feel like most of the time I am a pretty reasonable, forgiving sort. But I think I would like to see the person that came up with these things tarred and feathered.

What could possibly be the matter with a regular gas can? I can't get mail order, went to PA and Delaware. Forgot to look when I was in NY. Tried to buy a regular spout, doesn't fit the can.

Help.
Replies: 15 - 24 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: Gas Cans
Reply #15   Feb 12, 2005 1:33 pm
Smitty,
How do you use a a filtering funnel with one of those cans that require pressure?

OK, I had a can cost $22 about 8 months ago. Today I threw the "smart nozzle" away and found a nozzle with a cap that fit my can for $8. Now I need to drill a hole so it will vent. I had two other choices, buy a kerosene can and use that for gas for less than $10, or a safety can for $80.

I did not want to use a kerosene can for about 50 reasons.
So a cheap plastic can ended up costing me $30.
Next time for $80 I will get  the Eagle safety can.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #16   Feb 12, 2005 2:38 pm
Walt wrote:
Robmints,

You are correct about the funnel and those safety caps.  I thought about that when I bought it, but I don't need a funnel to fill anything but a beer-bong. 

I've never tried to dump a full gallon of oil-gas mix all over the place just to test out my new gas can, but if I remember correctly the fuel didn't stop when it got to the nozzle tip of the can.  I don't like them either but I couldn't find the other kind around here.

Marshall,  The kind you bought aren't readily available around here. 

I can see it now,

Sheriff:  Where ya heading so fast son

Marshall:  Oh just out to see some friends in Maryland, PA, and Delaware.

Sheriff:  You got anything illegal in there

Marshall:  Nah, nothing in here but me and these 300 high priced gas cans.

Walt LOL! 

Maybe a little home made brew too......  
Le_Quebecois

The best thing to keep an engine in good shape is to starting it once a week all year long.

Reply #17   Feb 12, 2005 4:53 pm
It can be done by controlling the air am I wrong?

I love my wife
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #18   Feb 12, 2005 9:58 pm
I use the B&S Smart Fil for my snow blower, mower, and wood chipper. "I don't need no stinkin filter " for any of those. I just open the valve and pour, it doesn't spill a drop and stops automatically when the OPE fuel tank is full. To each his own, but I would never use anything else.

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
patsfan

Reply #19   Feb 13, 2005 11:33 am
 This thread got me to wondering,and I did some searching.  Has anyone ever tried this funnel ? Seems like it might be the answer. ( Of course, I'm an optimist  )

http://www.smallenginebusiness.com/mowerzone/prods/7-05903.html

formerly OT
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #20   Feb 13, 2005 12:58 pm
I hate those new gas can's....   Different thread size so can't use old spouts.  Found that the blue cans for kero  don't have the safety spout and they are the same thread size,  If you wanna mix and match before check out(not actually suggesting that),   or buy two and throw blue one away.  Could buy the blue one and paint it red.   

What I use for my small stuff like string trimmer etc is  one of those aluminum fuel camping bottles. (looks like a thermos bottle cept narrow spout like a pop bottle,  no funnel usually needed) They are made for fuel/gasoline etc.   they vent before opening it,  they come in various sizes up to a quart.  Sure you gotta fill them, but they are easier to fill and you fill it once and you get four fills on the small stuff,  and real quick to top off when you only want a few ounces like when you start out.

Get a couple, oil/mix in one plain in other.  You will be able to pour as fast as the local bartender.  Easy/small enough to use with no funnel.

I have one of those old time safety 5 gal gas cans.  Looks like an old fashioned  milk can from a dairy farm.  They were bout 60/ 70 bucks.  Found it at on old auto parts.  It was on there floor for years , inch of dust.  asked about it, guy said He will give it to me for 12 bucks as it  was his last one and he was tired of lookin at it.  I waxed that baby, (colonite insulator wax) the spout opening is big enough to clean the inside with like a stick  an a rag. (actually big enough to get a good size arm in there, Do not try this at home folks!!) just don't do that. however if you even find an old rusty  one, you could get in there enough to sandblast and coat, (like a por 15 or something. ) (did a couple junky old motor cycle tanks for ones I keep At hunting camp,with that stuff, didn't work too bad)  (haven't clogged the carb yet, 2 years)

Ben07

This message was modified Feb 13, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #21   Feb 14, 2005 1:08 am
I had a camping bottle like Ben07 had mentioned.  I looked at it a while back and saw that it needed to thrown away.  Too much rust.  I wonder if gas stations will turn on the pump if you try to fill a blue can with gas.  I don't like metal cans as they rust.  I like plastic, but don't like the style that store away in the can.  Too much dirt can get in there over time.  I like the style that has the spout on the top with a sealed cap on the end.  I only have 1 gallon can like that, and it has a 2 cycle mix in it.  The best alternative to all of this is probably to have a setup like me and Richie do. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Ben07

Reply #22   Feb 14, 2005 1:25 am
AJace wrote:
I had a camping bottle like Ben07 had mentioned.  I looked at it a while back and saw that it needed to thrown away.  Too much rust. 

HiAJace.  Those camping bottles as far as I have ever seen are made of aluminum.  Not saying they never made some out of steel which can rust, I just never seen one, Mine are 10 year old vintage,  Have looked at what is out there today, like at Dicks sporting goods, they are aluminum also.  And keep in mind they are only good for small stuff, small tanks and top offs,  Usually the situations where I can spill most times

Ben07

This message was modified Feb 14, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #23   Feb 14, 2005 1:29 am
Well, I meant alimum cans.  I also used it for 2 cycle mix.  It had sat dry for several years until I finally decided to throw it away.  Maybe the oil helps it from rusting.  All I know is that it didn't look good inside.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Ben07

Reply #24   Feb 14, 2005 1:42 am
I understand completely

While your here who is that runnin the snowblower up to their hips in snow, on the pic in your posts,  One of your pic's  or just a borrowed pic.  Great picture whoever's it is,  The photographer must have been wearing snow shoes to get all the way out there for the shot.

Ben07

This message was modified Feb 14, 2005 by Ben07

Replies: 15 - 24 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42