Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Gas Cans

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
robmints

Gas Cans
Original Message   Feb 11, 2005 7:39 pm
Any one know of a good way to modify one of these spill proof gas cans to not spill so much gas.

You almost always need to hold the spring loaded nozzle open while you are trying to fill a tank or pour into a funnel. All the while, the you are trying to watch the gas go in the tank at a terribly slow rate. Instead you are knocking over the funnel or pouring the gas down the side of the tank.

I feel like most of the time I am a pretty reasonable, forgiving sort. But I think I would like to see the person that came up with these things tarred and feathered.

What could possibly be the matter with a regular gas can? I can't get mail order, went to PA and Delaware. Forgot to look when I was in NY. Tried to buy a regular spout, doesn't fit the can.

Help.
Replies: 35 - 44 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
solara

Re: Gas Cans
Reply #35   Feb 18, 2005 5:33 pm
like  brian brown in FX?  Very cool.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #36   Feb 18, 2005 6:09 pm
Richie wrote:
Received the Han-D-Pump today.  It fit right onto my 6 gallon plastic fuel container.  None of the extra pump adapters
were needed.  I only had a little fuel left, but I was able to test it, worked great  Nice to be able to
leave the container on the floor for a change  Good flow rate too.

Han-D-Pump Fuel Nozzle Kit | Buy now for just $16.99!

Hi  Richie...

Looks good !

What's the hose length and lift height for this ?
Gallons per minute ?

I'd like an easier (non-electric) way to transfer diesel fuel from a 5-gallon container on the ground up about 4' into
the tractor's fuel tank...

Thanks,

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #37   Feb 18, 2005 6:35 pm
Hi Dave,

It's designed to pump gas, diesel, antifreeze or liquid fertilizers, although I just checked and it is not for oil.  It will easily handle a 4' reach.  It isn't rated for GPM, so I couldn't say.  The instructions note it can also be used to remove fuel directly from an OPE fuel tank at the end of a season.  Seems like that would be somewhat awkward, but good to know.  If the short clear siphon hose is reversed with the black hose that connects to the nozzle, they say you can use it to drain fuel from a cars fuel tank into something else.  I suppose if you have a gas generator, and you know how much gas they can use, a feature like that could come in handy.  Hope this helps. 

Richie
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #38   Feb 18, 2005 6:39 pm
Thanks Richie...

4' reach is not enough for my application...

...maybe it would handle a longer discharge hose... probably would... since I need more lateral distance...
...4' lift...

Thanks...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #39   Feb 18, 2005 7:10 pm
Dave___in___CT wrote:

4' reach is not enough for my application...

It's just 1/4" inside diameter hose.  If this is something you want, I don't see a problem adding some extra length of hose to it. 

Richie
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #40   Feb 20, 2005 12:09 am
Richie are you going to make a dolley for you gas can? 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Termy

Reply #41   Feb 20, 2005 12:44 am
We need to pump oil too. Too bad its only for gas and diesal.

Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #42   Feb 20, 2005 12:02 pm
Hi Richie  When you get a chance .  check the specs on that pump and see if it gives you the maximum height difference it is capable of raising those fluids.   (not lateral length of hose)

No hurry , thx in advance

Ben07 

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #43   Feb 20, 2005 12:59 pm
Ben07 wrote:
Hi Richie  When you get a chance .  check the specs on that pump and see if it gives you the maximum height difference it is capable of raising those fluids.   (not lateral length of hose)

Ben,

There are no specs for the pump.  As it is, it fills my gallon fuel tank quickly.  I also made one of those funnel holders that someone else mentioned to the club.  Makes the process easier.

AJ...I won't be making a dolley, I'm not crippled just have to be a little careful.

Richie
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #44   Feb 20, 2005 9:10 pm
Rob,

The Walmart here sells 2 types of Blitz gas cans.  One is the type we all hate (no spill).  They also have another type that has a vented nozzle, (without the usual vent in the back of the can. ) The latter doesn't have a shutoff or anything, and it also fits on the Blitz 5 gallon cans.

I hope this helps

Walt

Replies: 35 - 44 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42