Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > track drive snowblowers with differentials.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

track drive snowblowers with differentials.
Original Message   Oct 22, 2011 12:47 pm
I here from many that  Ariens track drives do not have steering. They say that they have differentials that can lock both tracks for better traction. If I unlock the right side then just the left will be driving. To me that is confusing because if the left is driving then the unit will want to go right . So what is the differential doing? What is its purpose. I thought differentials switch the drive/driven tracks  to the left making a right turn and right to make a left  turn. That being it does have steering.  If it does not then it will always want to go right unless both tracks are locked.  I never test run any of Ariens  track models so i do not really know how they steer .  The only trigger steering tracks I see are from troy Built .  I'm not impressed with there reliability or quality. I love Ariens,  but I question their tracks ease of steering.
Replies: 6 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
dexnjan

Re: track drive snowblowers with differentials.
Reply #6   Feb 6, 2015 12:38 pm
My snowblower is not a track drive, but it has a differntial.  It's 40 years old,  a John Deere 526 model.  Nice easy turning and either wheel seems to drive it when needed.  There is a lock on the left wheel that will make both wheels drive equally if wanted.  This seems to be a really good blower, and I have worked on it to replace the traction disk, but other than that, it's a winner.
Replies: 6 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42