Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > briggs VS tecumseh torque and horses

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

briggs VS tecumseh torque and horses
Original Message   Feb 10, 2005 7:13 pm
there has been much discussion lately about torque and horsepower.

at work today i did a little research on my lunch break.

the results of my little comparison are somewhat surprising.

the numbers for the tecumseh engines were obtained from microfiche cards that are 2 years old. they are the most up to date ones with that info on them we have .they have newer cardss but the horsepower and torque curves arent on them.

the numbers for the briggs engines was taken from a 2004 engine sales brochure.

every dealer will have these cards and papers but the numbers are somewhat difficult to find.

i was however determined to deliver the facts so here i am.

tecumseh first.and please note that not all engine numbers are available at this time to me.

hmsk 70    11.3   lbs  of torque  at   2450 rpm

hmsk 80    12.75  lbs of torque at   3000 rpm

hmsk 100  15.5   lbs of torque at   2600 rpm

hmsk 110   15.75  lbs of torque at   2500 rpm

ohsk 120  17.5  lbs of torque at   2550 rpm

briggs next... all ohv intek snow engines.

9 horse  14   lbs torque  at    2500  rpm

10 horse  14.25   lbs torque at   2500 rpm

11 horse 18 .5   lbs torque at   2400 rpm.

i know this dosent include many of the engines we have but those numbers werent available to me .

but im not done just yet and i will keep posting about my finds.

i was led to beleive that the briggs had a lot more torque than the tecumseh but except fot the 11 horse one the tecumseh  engines are pretty good on paper..

tecumseh has been working quite hard on a v twin L head snow engine that was supposed to be very emission friendly.not sure what has been going on with it but update schools are in a month so ill know more then.

please note that the tecumseh numbers were taken from a microfiche card and it was not in the best of condition .

i beleive the numbers are accurate but not positive.

later chris 

specifications subject to change without notice...ha ha

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
buttlint

Re: briggs VS tecumseh torque and horses
Reply #1   Feb 10, 2005 7:31 pm
Chris,
We are not allowed too talk about  hp in this country..... any longer....if we work in the ope industry.
It is verbotten!
We can only say things in "cubic centimeters." (Like we went metric and understand any of that gibberish!)
I am afraid we shall all have too cover our ears....and lay our heads on our desks....if we hear any of that kind of talk around here!
Damm Canadian rabble rousers!
snowshoveler

Reply #2   Feb 10, 2005 7:37 pm
yup thats me and dont you forget it or ill send you some centimeters of snow.

im actually one of the few canadians that are bi lingual i speak metric and standard or imperial.

its like talking with your left hand.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
robmints

Reply #3   Feb 10, 2005 7:50 pm
Chris is that V twin the Silver Star or Silver Series from a few years back? That was only advertised for  a while. But I never saw one. I have seen the verticle V twins in mowers, but not the ones they were advertising.
snowshoveler

Reply #4   Feb 10, 2005 8:10 pm
only saw pic of it no numbers or specs or anything.

a couple years ago i posted about it cause they said it was ready for sale and would wipe one of the intek briggs engines easily

and a vtwin should even if its an Lhead.

i dont know if it suffered some unforsean problem in final testing or what but i always like to see new toys.

later chrsi

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #5   Feb 10, 2005 9:27 pm
Chris,

From those numbers, and I assume those are Tecumseh L-head engines, it appears the L-heads are not so inefficient compared to OHV engines as the consumers were led to believe.  Am I correct?  I'd love to know what the Tecumseh Snowking 10 HP engine torque is at 2,500 RPM's rather than the 2,600 RPM as listed.  Off the top of my head, I'd say even if the RPM was reduced, matching the RPM's of it's Briggs OHV counterpart, I believe it would still out-torque it making it more efficient.  Unless I'm sadly mistaken, this just get more and more interesting.

Richie
18Degrees

Reply #6   Feb 10, 2005 9:39 pm
Snowshoveler, thank you for your research. i see you have done a lot of number crunching.                  18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #7   Feb 11, 2005 7:00 am
Last year I posted a press release from a trade publication about the V-Twin Tecumseh. It was suposed to have been installed on a number of Husquarvana blowers and a shop in  Mass. had them asdvertised. When I called they claimed they were sold out .

I question whether or not those machines ever existed or if the engine was ever released. T-Man said if he heard anything he would let us know. 

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42