Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Seized pulley sheave just about has me beat.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Paul7

Seized pulley sheave just about has me beat.
Original Message   Jan 4, 2015 12:26 am
Trying to remove the attachement belt pulley from the engine shaft on a 9hp Tecumseh. Been at it for two days with penetrating oil, propane torched, pullers, and hammers...and it won't budge. Before I cut it off is there anything I'm missing?
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Seized pulley sheave just about has me beat.
Reply #1   Jan 4, 2015 10:49 am
   Are you giving the pulley enough heat?  Map gas to glowing red.  I emery cloth in back and front so when it does slip it's
moving onto a cleaner surface.  Sometimes the pulley will break free going in instead of out.  When it moves then clean off
the part it covered and go the other way. 
  Sometimes I use two pickle forks from behind.  I use a three leg puller if the pulley is stout enough,.  Try applying heat
with the puller on.  I've had a pulley break free overnight by just leaving the puller on. 
Paul7

Reply #2   Jan 4, 2015 4:55 pm
I only have propane. If MAP gas gets hotter then I'll buy a MAP gas torch and try that. On this model the auger pulley is attached to the engine shaft (in front of the drive pulley on the same shaft) by a 3/8 inch fine thread bolt. I've been using my puller by inserting a longer narrower bolt through the threaded shaft and centering my puller on it. I'm tempted to partially tread the 3/8 inch bolt on the shaft and use it with my puller but no sure if the treads will hold up.
Santaclause

Reply #3   Jan 5, 2015 6:44 am
Mapp gas and PB blaster and clean shaft up so nice and clean when she busts free!!!
trouts2

Reply #4   Jan 5, 2015 11:14 am
   Usually pulleys held on by a bolt on the end of the crank come off easily.  Just in case, are there allen screws on a pulley collar?  Sorry for so lame a question.

To protest the crank end threads you could remove the bolt and use a few thick washers there.
Paul7

Reply #5   Jan 7, 2015 12:31 am
Got it! Took three days off and on. Hardest one I ever faced. No allen screws but the rusted steel on steel was fused together pretty good. I was getting close to cutting it off but it finally popped. I hope the modification is worth the effort. I picked up an Ariens 926 for my son-in-law and it came with the single auger belt. Ariens latter realized that a single belt wasn't strong enough and subsequently went to double belts. I bought the double belt conversion kit to put on before I give it to him. I also bought the same conversion kit for my Ariens 11.5hp but if the pulley on that machine looks like this one I'm going to live with a single belt.
This message was modified Jan 7, 2015 by Paul7
trouts2

Reply #6   Jan 7, 2015 9:20 am
  Congrats on getting it off without breaking it.  Tough stuff, drive pulleys, auger pulleys, frozen wheels and impellers.

Maybe you could make up a fixture to put behind the pulley so you then put big torque on the puller say with an impact gun.

One possibility is something like two lengths of metal something like the stoutness of a lawnmower blade.  Those would
go in back of the pulley.  Then two rods to put behind those which the puller can grab.  You could then put great force on the
pulley and not worry about it breaking.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42