Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 824 power shift carb

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Hiatt71

Toro 824 power shift carb
Original Message   Nov 29, 2014 9:03 pm
I have a 97 toro 824 power shift, it needed a tune up so I put a carb kit in it and put a new bowl on as well. I've got it running great but when I shut it off it leaks gas. It is leaking gas were the bowl and carb connect. I've put 2 new gaskets on it and it still doesn't work, do I need a new float or new needle and seat or just a brand new carb? I'm out of ideas on what to do Thanks Neil
This message was modified Nov 29, 2014 by Hiatt71
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
niper99

Re: Toro 824 power shift carb
Reply #1   Nov 30, 2014 12:58 am
Yes replace the needle and seat.. if its a Tecumseh motor then I highly recommend replacing the fuel lines as well..
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #2   Nov 30, 2014 5:14 am
Neil, The needle and seat are a good idea if your at it. Make sure the tang which controls the float is adjusted so that when the carb is upside down with bowl off and the float in the resting position, you should have only enough space to fit the shank of an 11/64 drill bit between the float and the carb rim. Your problem with the leak is not the needle and seat. The mating surfaces are not sealing for some reason, possibly the gasket isn't seating properly due to some crud in the gasket groove. You also may having the bowl issue do to the orientation of the bowl to carb. There is a deeper side of the bowl made so the float can come down and let gas through the needle seat but by having it the wrong way may possibly hinder the bowl to fully seat itself against the gasket. Oh, one more idea. If you took out the emulsion tube from the center of the carb and didn't put it back the right direction (possibly inverted by mistake) that the the screw isn't deep enough thereby not letting the bowl nut tighten itself to bring the bowl tight to the carb.
This message was modified Nov 30, 2014 by hirschallan

carlb

Reply #3   Nov 30, 2014 7:21 am
Another thing to check is the float itself.  Take the float off and shake it.  If you hear any fuel sloshing around inside the float replace it.  A float with a leak will always make the carb leak.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42