Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens wheel not turning...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Speedbird

Ariens wheel not turning...
Original Message   Oct 30, 2014 11:51 am
Hey guys/gals,

It's been a while since I last posted here, but after a good run without any issues I've once again hit a snag and need your collective wisdom and experience to help me figure out my next move.
I have a 5 year-old Ariens 927LE snowblower and during the course of my annual summer maintenance noticed that the trigger wheel-lock no longer seems to work. All of the power is going to the right wheel only and I can't figure out why.
I tried removing and cleaning the assembly, and made sure that the rectangular metallic bit is still on the axle, but from the feel of things it seems as though when I squeeze the left handle trigger I don't feel any 'click' indicating that the lock is either engaging or disengaging. It's not feeling "mushy" and I'm not sure how to check the assembly to make sure the cable is intact/properly connected.

Your thoughts?
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
longboat

Re: Ariens wheel not turning...
Reply #1   Nov 3, 2014 8:54 am
First, check your cables and make sure they are actuating properly.  The left one may have stretched just enough that it no longer triggers the mechanism on the axle to allow free-wheeling.  Check out the cable run and assembly and you will find where you can tighten it (usually at the controls).

If it is something much deeper than that, I would compare the planetary gearset on each side to each other.  I had one of the planetary gearsets lock up on me a couple years ago on my 2006 Craftsman (MTD) 928, and it completely locked up the wheels.  Sears wanted nearly $300 for a new planetary gearset assembly, but I was able to find the parts necessary to fix it online for about $45 and got it working again. 

Speedbird

Re: Ariens wheel not turning...
Reply #2   Nov 6, 2014 9:01 pm
Thanks longboat, I'll check out the cable assembly this weekend and hopefully figure things out. If that's not the issue then I don't feel too comfortable messing around with the gear assembly...I'll have to see if I can get some help. Cheers, Speedbird
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42