Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What engine will replace a HSK40 on an old Ariens?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
newtonian

What engine will replace a HSK40 on an old Ariens?
Original Message   Oct 19, 2014 4:17 pm
Title asks it all.

SNowblower hasn't been run in 19 years and engine looks hopeless.  The chassis looks darned good.

What's a good candidate replacement engine model to power it?

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
newtonian

Re: What engine will replace a HSK40 on an old Ariens?
Reply #1   Oct 26, 2014 6:09 pm
I didn't get too far with trying to get this engine going.  The inside of the fuel tank looks like barnacles, the carb bowl is also encrusted.  The oil, visible through the dipsticjk hole, is jelled.  Gas wouldn't flow from the carb even with the line detached.  This old motor is in for a major teardown and it won't be by me.

Was looking at engines from Harbor Freight.  Anyone tried one on a snowblower?

The chassis and frame look darned good.  My only concern is the small solid chained tires.  Will they cut it in use?

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Shryp

Re: What engine will replace a HSK40 on an old Ariens?
Reply #2   Oct 26, 2014 8:20 pm
The Harbor Freight engines are fine for snow use. Some people build sheet metal covers to act as heat boxes and some don't. Depends on how cold and windy it is if you will have icing problems or not. I had a Toro 3521 with hard rubber tires that worked just fine. Get yourself a coupon from here. http://www.dealsoff.com/harbor-freight-coupons/ The biggest problem you are going to have is that old Ariens probably has an engine with dual shafts on the front of it. That is going to make switching the engine much harder. Your forward and reverse gears are going to be backwards and twice as fast.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42