Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > troybilt junior w/ tecumseh 4.5hp govenor issues

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
383stroker

troybilt junior w/ tecumseh 4.5hp govenor issues
Original Message   Apr 29, 2014 8:34 am
Going through my tiller to get her ready for the season and just cant seem to get her to want to rev up and stay on the govenor.  I just repace the carb with a brand new out of the box carb, brand new govenor spring, throttle cable, air cleaner, spark plug.  pretty much the whole nine yards.  It starts right up on the first pull Idles fantastic, yet when you go to give it throttle it doesn't rev up, I've adjusted and readjust the govenor spring location, the govenor rod, the throttle linkage from govenor to carb, adjusted carb to factory settings.  I can pull open the throttle and it'll rev up, and after fooling with it a while it'll speed up with the throttle cable but not to where it needs to be when running and tilling.  I'm at a loss for whats going on with it.  not much else I can replace other than throwing a GX200 honda engine I have on it. 
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
trouts2

Re: troybilt junior w/ tecumseh 4.5hp govenor issues
Reply #1   Apr 29, 2014 11:59 am

Some basic checks:

Was the engine and governor working fine before you replaced the carb?  Why did you replace the carb?

With the engine off looking into the carb throat, does the butterfly move from closed to open when you move the throttle from off to max?

Does the governor arm move freely when the engine is off?

Does the governor arm move at all when you rev the engine?  If not then the arm may be rust frozen, slipping, or the internal gears may be stripped and you’re hosed.

If the governor arm is moving when the engine is rev’ed you may need adjustment.  That is, if it’s really moving correctly and you do not have another problem.

You have been adjusting but could it be that the governor arm is adjusted such that it’s closing the butterfly when its rest position?   That would make it that it will restrict gas on startup and try to restrict gas more after start and the throttle is increased. 

Summary:

If the butterfly responds correctly when you move the throttle from off to max and the governor arm moves when you rev the engine then you probably need adjustment…provided…its not something else unrelated to the governor which can be addressed when the above checks are done.

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42