Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Question on Honda GX340 engine

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tkrotchko

Question on Honda GX340 engine
Original Message   Apr 11, 2014 8:42 pm
I was changing oil on a GX340 engine on my snowblower. The manual says it holds 1.1 quarts of oil (which I read as about 35 ounces) Yet, the manual also shows that you fill up the crankcase until it's touching the threads for the dipstick. This is pretty common in the GX line (same in the GX160). However, if you add 1.1 quarters, the oil comes halfway up the dipstick, nowhere close to the threads. If you fill it until it reaches the threads, it's closer to 1.4 quarts, or 45 ounces. I am frankly baffled by how much oil this engine needs. Thoughts? Also, this winter is the first the engine has really worked for more than an hour, and when I changed the oil, I could see flecks of metal (microscopic) glinting in the sun. I am inclined to add a magnetic drain plug to the machine, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on doing this.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42