Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Update: Briggs vertical shaft engine 875 series Toro Timemaster (finally the 1000 series engine will be standard)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

Update: Briggs vertical shaft engine 875 series Toro Timemaster (finally the 1000 series engine will be standard)
Original Message   Apr 3, 2014 10:48 am
Mower has this engine but is underpowered. Anyone know if the 1000 series (10 ft.-lbs. gross torque) 223cc engine has the same mounting hole pattern / crankshaft dimensions? It's in the same family and weighs about the same, but can't find the dimensional drawings for it. These are the only specs I can find:<BR><BR>Engine Displacement (cc)<BR> 223 <BR>Number of Cylinders<BR> Single <BR>Engine Configuration<BR> Vertical Shaft <BR>Engine Technology<BR> OHV <BR>Length (in)<BR> 15.8 <BR>Width (in)<BR> 13.4 <BR>Height (in) <BR>10.1 <BR>Weight (lbs)<BR> 31.0 <BR>Bore (in)<BR> 2.91 <BR>Stroke (in)<BR> 2.04 <BR>Engine Fuel<BR> Gasoline <BR>Fuel Tank Capacity (gallons)<BR> 0.3 <BR>Lubrication System<BR> Dura-Lube Splash Lubrication <BR>Oil Capacity (oz)<BR> 18 <BR>Oil Filter<BR> Optional <BR>Starter<BR> ReadyStart <BR>Air Filter<BR> Dual-Sealing Commercial-Grade Air Cleaner <BR>Muffler<BR> Super Lo-Tone <BR>Fuel Shutoff Valve<BR> Optional <BR>
This message was modified Oct 18, 2016 by slinger
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Briggs vertical shaft engine 875 series
Reply #1   Apr 4, 2014 8:40 am
   The Serries numbers are for the most part marketing numbers and do no reference to drawings.   To get drawings you need the factory model number of an engine to feed to sights either for dimensions or you could compare exploded view parts numbers for the crank and block.   A factory number is 6 digits - 4 digits - 2 digits.   Numbers that start with 5 get a zero in front.

A round about way to get a factory model number is to google around with series 1000 until you find a hit with equipment that uses a 1000 series than chase down the equipment on the manf's site for manuals.  

Often when I can't get hits I email or call Briggs and find them very helpful.

SmallEngineWarehouse is also a good place to get help and has an 800#.  Their main page has a link to a rebuild page where they list engine replacements for specific equipment like many different models of Ariens snowblowers.  
slinger

Reply #2   Apr 5, 2014 11:36 am
This 1000 series engine is/was used on the Snapper RE100 rear engine riding mower. Can't find much more info anywhere. May have to call Briggs. When I purchased my Toro Timemaster, the engine operator's manual that came with it shows 3 series of engines in that family: Model 11000 Professional series, which is the 775/800 series. The Model 12000 Pro series (850/875 series) and the Model 14000, which is the 950/1000 series. The Toro Timemaster comes with the 875 series. Countless people have claimed that this 190cc 8.75 torque power engine is insufficient for this 30" machine. In my 2 year experience with this mower I tend to agree. It is fine for midsummer dry grass but in the early part of the season, thick, lush Kentucky bluegrass is quite a test for this mower. Just wondering if the upper engine in that family (with 10.0 torque power) and about the same weight & dimensions would be a good substitute. I just can't find mounting and crank specs. (and I'll probably never find an engine anyway without paying an exhorbitant price!)

The serial number on my stock Toro 875 series engine is: 120216 62 88130, which doesn't seem to jive completely with Briggs' typical numbering scheme.
Does anyone know if there is anything different (feature/spec wise) with the Toro version of this Briggs engine?
trouts2

Reply #3   Apr 9, 2014 11:02 am

Just guessing but the # 120216 62 88130 seems like it’s a Toro number not a Briggs number.   The Briggs # will be on the engine on a tag or stamped.

190cc 6.5hp engines are pretty standard for 22 inch mowers.   Those will load up with taller grass and a little dew.   With a 30 inch blade it would be reasonable for it to struggle in tougher conditions.  

Given the blade size and power you’d have to keep the blade very sharp to help out.

Seems like a design setup that would get the job done but always taxed so not a machine to expect to last long term. 

>>(and I'll probably never find an engine anyway without paying an exhorbitant price!)

Right.

>>Does anyone know if there is anything different (feature/spec wise) with the Toro version of this Briggs engine?

I don’t.   On a purchase like this Toro could spec anything to Briggs from a muffler change to a crank.  Your best bet would probably be to call Toro and try to hook up with one of their engineers.

slinger

Toro Timemaster finally gets a bit more power....
Reply #4   Oct 15, 2016 12:20 am
Well I don't want to say I told you so... but Toro just announced that the new Timemaster will have the engine I suggested (above) 2 years ago. They are putting the Briggs Professional series 223cc 10.0 torque power engine on this mower. Don't know when it will be available but Toro has released video confirming this.
This message was modified Oct 18, 2016 by slinger
Toolz

Reply #5   Apr 27, 2017 6:42 am
Hello All, I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone found the answer to this question. My 875 on my Toro is on its last leg. I would like to replace it with the Briggs 1000 series. Its this possible? Thanks in advance
slinger

Re: Update: Briggs vertical shaft engine 875 series Toro Timemaster (finally the 1000 series engine will be standard)
Reply #6   Jun 24, 2017 10:31 am
After using my Timemaster 30" for 6 1/2 years now I gave up on getting this question answered, especially since my stock 190cc B&S Professional Series engine still works fine. What I have done to tweak the performance is to bump the rpm up by about 200-300 rpm and use the blades from the commercial version of this mower which provide a much better cut for me. I mulch high at 3" to 3 1/2" and the extra lift of these blades makes the grass stand up better for a cleaner cut for me, even though they are said to be more effective for bagging. I would not want an engine now that would make the mower much heavier, as it is a bit bulky to maneuver in tight areas. I find that I must mow more often as you should anyway when you are mulching, but as long as I do that I no longer get any bogging down on the motor now, especially with slightly higher rpm. I use synthetic oil to try to compensate for any excessive wear caused by minimally greater revs of the motor. The thing runs great, although it is a bit loud.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42