Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > track snow blowers

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

track snow blowers
Original Message   Mar 6, 2014 6:55 am
You guys with track snow blowers . I know they do not have steering, but do you have to fight them to go a straight line? I know wheeled units do not with a disk drive. I do not know about Hydro drive units.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Re: track snow blowers
Reply #1   Mar 6, 2014 7:57 am
If the track is adjusted according to the manufacturer specs as per the manual, they travel perfectly straight. It's the turning which is tuff at times especially in the garage but as they say, tracks have their time and place in the snow also.

55utilitysedan

Reply #2   Mar 6, 2014 10:24 am
I love my tracked JD TRX26, as mentioned it goes straight very well, you learn how to turn with time. I drive mine up stairs (4) to blow off my 40' x 22' deck. Traction is great, don't know much about hydro drive myself.                
nibbler

Reply #3   Jul 3, 2014 11:33 pm
I have a Honda 928TCD and use it mostly on a cottage driveway with some steep sections. It might go straight on asphalt but lumpy gravel with twists and turns in the driveway take a bit of steering. Tracks are much nicer in these conditions. The extra traction and hydrostatic transmission make going up and down the driveway much nicer. i used a wheeled unit for a couple of years. It worked reasonably well, the wheels would spin regularly and I had to wrestle the thing through the snow. With tracks you can loose traction but it doesn't happen as often and you can normally back out and try again.

I believe that for equivalent outfitted machines the track's top speed is a bit slower.
nibbler

Reply #4   Jul 3, 2014 11:39 pm
The Ariens Pro Track units all have auto-turn which is supposed to make turning easier.

The Honda has a lever that disconnects the tracks from the transmission. They are still locked together so turning is a challenge but it means that it is slightly easier to push the unit when the engine isn't on.
FrankMA

Reply #5   Jul 25, 2014 7:44 am
hirschallan wrote:
If the track is adjusted according to the manufacturer specs as per the manual, they travel perfectly straight. It's the turning which is tuff at times especially in the garage but as they say, tracks have their time and place in the snow also.

What hirschallan said above & track drive snowblowers are not that hard to maneuver once you have snow under the tracks. I keep my Honda HS928TA on a furniture dolly in my garage during the off season so I can easily move it if needed.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
hockeyplayer19

Reply #6   Nov 4, 2014 12:38 pm
Sorry, I know this is is an older topic and my post isn't exactly on point, but I just joined the forum and saw this. I have a 2004 Troy Bilt Snow Tracker that has power steering triggers or if you like, steering assist. This works very well and turning while in use isn't difficult at all. Turning on a dry surface is tougher and trying to move it when turned off is tougher still. Engaging both levers while the blower is off helps a lot in moving it. I am really enjoying all of the information that can be found on this site.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42