Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 826oxe shear pins?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
giocam

Toro 826oxe shear pins?
Original Message   Jan 15, 2013 12:43 pm
Hey, I have had my 826oxe for almost three years and for the first time the two shear pins that bolt the impeller onto the shaft that leads into the auger gearcase broke. I never had any on hand because I was told/it is advertised there is no need for shear pins in these machines. And I couldn't get new ones when this happened because everything was shut down due to the storm. So I had to shovel! When the shop did open the next day they said it was common for this to happen, especially due to the high stress on the machine because the type of snow it was clearing(wet/heavy/hard packed and about 3 feet high). The guy said also that the shear pins in the auger do break on occasion. So I picked up a bunch of extra shear pins for the impeller and auger. I wish they had told me this when I bought the machine so I would have had them on hand for when they were eventually needed. Any other toro owners have this happen? If you haven't, and you don't have any extras in your toolbox I advise you to go buy some!

This message was modified Jan 15, 2013 by giocam
Replies: 27 - 28 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Re: Toro 826oxe shear pins?
Reply #27   Feb 18, 2014 7:44 pm
I don't know if this applies to all shear bolts but my owners manual calls for 11ft. lbs. as a torque rating for the shear bolts on my machine. Marc
This message was modified Feb 18, 2014 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
daniel

Re: Toro 826oxe shear pins?
Reply #28   Feb 18, 2014 10:08 pm
mml4 wrote:
I don't know if this applies to all shear bolts but my owners manual calls for 11ft. lbs. as a torque rating for the shear bolts on my machine. Marc

Thanks for the info!  I think 11 ft. lbs might be the margin of error on my $10 harbor freight wrench, but I have been meaning to try it out.  It worked great on the driveway today though even if it was only a couple of inches.

My owners manual just has 100 pages telling you not to wear a long scarf or stick your face in the augers in 50 different languages :)

This message was modified Feb 18, 2014 by daniel

Toro 826 OXE Snowblower, Echo PB-500 backpack blower, Toro 22" high wheel recycler mower, Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited 6 spd :)
Replies: 27 - 28 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42