Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Hi all! Ariens ST824s Question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
phish_on2k

Hi all! Ariens ST824s Question
Original Message   Feb 15, 2014 6:40 pm
Well....hi all! I have gotten a lot of help from this site just by reading others postings...now I have an issue with my snowblower that I cannot figure out and would like someone who might know a little more about it help me troubleshoot and solve this problem...

I got a "3rd hand" Ariens ST824s from a friend who didnt need it..first year it worked like a boss...just had to tweak the carb and fuel flow and use a lot of SeaFoam and Stabil fuel additive to keep it running smooth..this year I had a tune up done on it and it starts on first pull and runs great with new carb kit.

I have found that when snow blowing, once there is an amount of snow taken in, the auger will stop moving (the second stage inside still blows snow). I thought that it might be very old auger belt...so just replaced it...now when i engage the auger it sounds like i just kicked a dog! I am hoping that it needs a little time to break in...BUT...auger still stops when a certain amount of snow(of any type other than powder) is taken in...checked the Shear Pins...they are good to go...no squealing when auger stops, so as far as i know, the belt is not slipping...engine is NOT bogged down when this happens...I can stop, throw it in reverse, engage clutch and it will work until it chokes on snow again

So...can anyone give me a direction to go in? I really do not know what the heck is keeping the auger from moving...

Thanks in advance, you guys rock!
Replies: 3 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
RedOctobyr

Re: Hi all! Ariens ST824s Question
Reply #3   Feb 16, 2014 9:43 am
If the impeller keeps spinning when the augers stop, I would suspect a problem in the auger gearbox. You might try testing the gearbox. You could try grabbing both augers, and trying to rotate them both forward or back. Give them both a hard push/twist, and see what happens. If they can turn, something is likely broken in the gearbox.
niper99

Reply #4   Feb 16, 2014 2:13 pm
certainly sounds like its in the gear box....
Snowmann

Reply #5   Feb 17, 2014 9:44 pm
What is the model and serial number? Sometimes those shear bolts can corrode in place and be sheared, yet the bolt head and nuts stay intact. Check that first. Try to rotate one with a socket. Second, if the gearbox is not transferring power, either the gear teeth are destroyed, or the groove pin (or key, depending on model) that affixes the gear to the shaft has sheared.
Replies: 3 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42