Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowstorm feuding with the neighbors.......

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mobiledynamics

Snowstorm feuding with the neighbors.......
Original Message   Feb 3, 2014 7:46 pm
Heh. All this talk about single stage , impeller velocity, yibber yabber. Had my 1st snowstorm feud with my mothers neighbor that lives across the street , 1/4 of the block off from her house. I swung by her place, and cleaned out her sidewalk, her driveway, and even did 1 house of the adjacent neighbor and 2 other houses on the other side of the adjacent neighbors sidewalks. All ~older~ neighbors that I more or less know on a friendly basis. Now, I'm not the type to throw the snow into the street, which everyone seems to do.... The streets need to be clean, especially as dusk settles and this stuff hardens up. The plows just come and veer it to whatever the direction of the plow is directed. So I make a nice mound, past the driveway, and OUTSIDE of the outer edge of the car that was parked in front of her house. The back of the car was not shoveled out, nor this mound. All I simply was doing was finessing the snow so it's clean on the street leading into the driveway. The sides of the car in question facing the street facing was shoveled out. I just added to the *snow* that was there already... So the gentleman comes running up to me and confronts me - directing me to throw the snow into the street. I just continued on, adding to the mound of the snow... Any of ya'll have snow shovel enforcers :-/
This message was modified Feb 25, 2014 by a moderator
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Shryp

Re: Snowstorm feuding with the neighbors.......
Reply #1   Feb 3, 2014 9:07 pm
*redacted*
This message was modified Feb 4, 2014 by Shryp
longboat

Reply #2   Feb 4, 2014 9:31 am
No feuds here.

I throw all my snow on the lawn.  I encourage my neighbors to do the same.  Not only is it free water for the lawn, but also free fertilizer.  That snow picks up a lot of free nitrogen in the air as it's falling, and soaks it back into the ground in the spring.  Also, snowpack helps protect the grass underneath for a healthy lawn in the spring.  Only reason not to do it is if there's a lot of salt in the snow that you're blowing - salt is not so bueno for the grass.

Robertbarr

Reply #3   Feb 4, 2014 7:12 pm
Where I live (south of Chicago) it's against the law to throw the snow into a plowed street.

It's also illegal to throw snow onto another's property without permission.  If you do it anyway, the property owner can require you to remove the snow from their property within two hours.
Paul7

Reply #4   Feb 4, 2014 11:48 pm
Never had an issue. Yards are fairly large in my neighborhood so there's plenty of space to throw the snow away from the street.
aa335

Reply #5   Feb 5, 2014 12:43 am
No issues here.  Neighbors are good about helping one another out, even snowblow the driveway when the homeowners are out of town.  I think I started the trend so most people are doing it. 
oakville

Reply #6   Feb 6, 2014 1:00 pm
not really a feud, but i saw the guy down the street from me (who has a heated driveway!) throwing the snow from the snowplow back out onto the road. 

so being the helpful guy i am, i drove my 2004 ariens 926DLE pro down there and finished clearing the eod for him.  then i blew everything he pushed onto the road over onto his lawn. 

sad part is he said he has a snowblower but it was "trapped in the back of his garage".

slinger

Reply #7   Feb 8, 2014 1:36 pm
Most folks on my street are younger so I always wonder if they appreciate me doing their driveways or if they feel insulted. I only do the yards of the neighbors that don't have snow blowers. One neighbor has thanked me so I know he doesn't mind but others never say anything (maybe they don't know I cleared it) so I am not sure. I know I wouldn't want anyone doing my driveway but I own the nicest machine on the block and besides...I'm weird about having other people do work for me (cutting grass, etc.) because I'm too damn meticulous and OCD and want it done my way!
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #8   Feb 12, 2014 3:50 pm
I like to take my Toro 1028 LXE along the street in front of my house, and also in front of my two side neighbors, doing about three swaths.  When I'm in front of their properties farthest from my yard, I just send the snow to the area where their lawns meet the curb.   As I get nearer my house, I can adjust the chute quickly to send the snow into my yard because the rooster tail just flies over their yards into mine.  Also, as I approach my yard, I just keep turning the chute more and more toward a right angle into my yard.  I never put snow onto their cleared-out street-to-house sidewalks.  We don't have curb sidewalks on my side of the street.  Nobody has ever complained.  I think that would be rude, but you never know what people are thinking, I guess.  Now, when the plow comes by if the snow is deep enough for that, well, it undoes everything I did, but I have fun with it anyway.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Raygg

Re: Snowstorm feuding with the neighbors.......(TOP 2)
Reply #9   Feb 19, 2014 12:41 pm
It's true you can't pick your neighbors. I cleared the driveway of my nextdoor neighbor (call him Joe - not his real name) a few times after I heard he had some back issues - and he has no snowblower. Neither Joe nor his wife even gave me a thankyou so I stopped doing it. Later on in another overnight/morning storm I was running my Ariens at 6am to clear 12" snow cove to get to work and Joe came out of his house and cursed me for making all the noise with the snowblower so early on. A Monday morning. Finally, in yet another storm which had 30mph gusts some of the snow i was throwing was getting blown across my yard into his yard (we have narrow lots and our driveways are only 20 feet apart) so he came over m to complain. I reminded him of ll the times I cleared his driveway and he said with tightened face muscles and clenched teeth, " I don't give a xxxk". On the other hand, we enjoy sharing a glass of wine with our neighbors across the street and the neighbor on the opposite side of my house from Joe do all sorts of things to help each other out.
Moderator Denis

Re: Snowstorm feuding with the neighbors.......(TOP 2)
Reply #10   Feb 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Once upon a time, my brother lived in the last house of a dead end, his front neighbor was blowing the snow on the street, by then so that the city workers would push it at the end of the street, but before the big truck arrives to do the job. it could take 2 days. The next morning my bro went out for work and stuck in the snow, the battle began :) police came and ask the guy not to throw the snow on the street, that what he didn't do, you know what, 20 minutes after the cop came he throw all the snow from his garden, my brother was furious, what a mess, he grap the guy (my bro 6.3 Ft. 225 pounds)by the chest and lift the guy and throw the guy in to the snow, hte guy call 911 and accusing my bro for attacking him wow....the cop gave a 300$ fine to the guy and told my bros that he did OK :)

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42