Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Rear Tine Tiller

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Yardmaster83

Rear Tine Tiller
Original Message   Jan 30, 2014 2:02 pm
I realize we're in the dead of winter here, but I'm looking at buying a rear tine tiller this spring. I'm planning on putting my garden about 100 yards from my shed. I'm generally a Honda person, but their rear tine tiller is a lot of money! The biggest difference I see on the Honda vs. others like Troy-Bilt is the fact that is has multiple speeds. How important is having a separate transport speed?
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
RIT333

Re: Rear Tine Tiller
Reply #1   Jan 30, 2014 3:00 pm
100 yards is quite a distance to bring it there, and even "longer" to put it away after 'tilling.   I would think, in your case, it would be very important.  Myself, I move mine about 30 feet twice a season, so it would have zero importance.  Also, how many times per season do you plan on using it ?  Multiply that by 200 yards, and you can probably easily justify the extra cash.  Plus, presumably,  it will be a better machine.  "Cheaping out" on an OPE will only make you happy one day, and you may regret it the rest of your equipment's life.
Shryp

Reply #2   Jan 30, 2014 3:29 pm
With that much land between the garden and the shed is there any chance you have a tractor and a cart that you can use to transport it?
friiy

Reply #3   Jan 30, 2014 8:57 pm
Rear tillers don't bet you up like a front tine. Self propelled is a must in any case... Hve you ever dragged a tiller across soft tilled soil?
niper99

Reply #4   Jan 30, 2014 11:09 pm
Are u sure the separate speeds are used for transport and not just to have multi speeds for convenience of tilling? different speeds is nicer for obvious reasons.. but definitely not necessary IMO.. cant say it would be worth the extra coin to be honest..
carlb

Reply #5   Jan 31, 2014 7:45 am
I have a Honda FRC 800.  It has two speeds for tilling and 3 forward transport speeds with reverse. These are pretty expensive new but sometimes you can get them at a reasonable price used.  you can easily move this machine 100 yards in less than a minute in third gear.

I got mine in trade for a snow blower that i had for sale.  Woman had it listed on craigslist looking to trade for a snow blower.  I just so happened to have a older Areins that i was selling so we made the trade.  She only lived 3 miles from me so it was a no brainer.   I took it apart cleaned it up and gave it a paint job.  Runs and looks like new.

The frc800 is a large machine and if you find one you will need two strong men to get it into the back of a pickup unless you have ramps and can drive it in.
longboat

Reply #6   Jan 31, 2014 9:22 am
I'm in the market for a tiller, also.  However, I've been eyeing the mid-tine tillers (Honda FC600).  I understand they can till down to a 12" depth vs. the 8" depth of the rear-tine tillers.  I've been borrowing a friend's old (one of the real ones) Troy-Bilt rear-tine, from the 1980's, and it has worked well, but doesn't seem to dig deep enough for my tastes.

Anybody have any experiences with the mid-tine tillers (Honda or Merry)?

This message was modified Jan 31, 2014 by longboat
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42