Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 924121 Gearbox HELP!!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gearbox

Ariens 924121 Gearbox HELP!!
Original Message   Jan 5, 2014 5:47 pm
I've joined the club...I blew the gearbox. I've removed the augers and auger shaft and disassembled the gearbox. I need to replace the worm gear shaft as well. Does anyone know the sequence for removing the worm gear shaft. I'm about to tackle removing the impeller blades by getting out the roll pins if I'm lucky or by cutting the shaft if I'm not. But I don't know what I'll be facing after that.
Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
kdez

Re: Ariens 924121 Gearbox HELP!!
Reply #4   Jan 9, 2014 2:49 pm
I cheated when this happend to me.  I bought the gearbox & impeller assembly new from jacks small engine repair.  I started out like you, I was going to rebuild.  The parts were scarce for my very old Ariens (circa 1978 or 1979).  I can tell you that it was shortwork to put the new parts together and now i have the new cast iron gearcase.

The cast iron gearcase was $189; the new impeller was $95; various other parts (groove pins, thrust collar, etc) were another $25 altogether.  In the end, I was glad to have replaced it all.  The new impeller (fan) had a tighter tolerance to the impeller housing than the original and I have not bothered to install an impeller kit as the performance of the new set-up is quite satisfactory.

Dan
kdez

Re: Ariens 924121 Gearbox HELP!!
Reply #5   Jan 31, 2017 3:03 pm
I lied, I missed my impeller kit and installed one later that winter.
Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42