Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why would Yamaha underpower a $4000.00 375lb snowblower...or did they??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
canman1976

Why would Yamaha underpower a $4000.00 375lb snowblower...or did they??
Original Message   Nov 12, 2013 2:10 pm
Seems odd to me that Yamahas ys928j is built with  a  mz250e engine that produces only 251cc's?? Why make such an expensive machine that weights so much and include such a underpowered engine?

Everything at home depot and the big box stores sell machines at 1/4 the cost with almost twice the engine displacement...whats up with that??

Now the quality is top notch but as an owner of this snowblower I can't say that  im  not  a little concerned about its soon to be seen performance.

Jamie.

Replies: 3 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Why would Yamaha underpower a $4000.00 375lb snowblower...or did they??
Reply #3   Nov 12, 2013 11:38 pm
canman1976 wrote:
Maybe the hydro drive and electromagnetic clutch reduce the power needs of this machine and put more power where its needed more efficiently?? Thanks JAMIE

For me, I don't think hydrostatic drive is more efficient than friction disc drive.  If anything, I think hydro robs more power from the engine.  The electro magnetic clutch isn't more efficient than the belt clutch.  Hydrostatic and the electromagnetic clutch are convenience technology.  Hydro allows for easy infinite speed adjustment, and well suited for tracked snowblowers (CVT variable ratio pulleys versus geared transmission).   The clutch for dealing with occasional impact without needing conventional shear pins.  (think circuit breakers versus a fuse)

The efficiency comes from the details in the rotational friction, inertia, auger, impeller, impeller housing, and the discharge chute.  There's a little bit of black magic that is in the realm of Bernoulli's principle pertaining to pump design.  Water acts funny depends on the phase it is in. 
Paul7

Re: Why would Yamaha underpower a $4000.00 375lb snowblower...or did they??
Reply #4   Dec 1, 2013 2:44 pm
It's not underpowered Canman. It will do exactly what you need it to do. There are two differences between your Yamaha and the one's you noted in the box stores. 1). Your Yamaha will be reliable and easy to use. 2). Your Yamaha will be passed on and used by your grandchildren long after the box store brands are in the landfill.
Replies: 3 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42