Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens back in the game again, a new single stage snowblower.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

Ariens back in the game again, a new single stage snowblower.
Original Message   Sep 21, 2013 2:39 am
Not sure if 2 stage snowblower purchases are on the decline that tip the scale in favor of a single stage, but Ariens have returned to the SS market.  Ariens 21" Path Pro.  The design looks like a safe bet, has all the right elements.  Nothing too revolutionary but it has a hinged cover easy service.  This is the only thing that sets it apart from other SS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ7zSo2cGBk
Replies: 10 - 19 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Ariens back in the game again, a new single stage snowblower.
Reply #10   Oct 30, 2013 3:17 pm
oldcrow wrote:
 He actually tried to sell me a Snow-Tek SS , bragging that it's bucket is 1 inch wider. Excuse me?

Probably because that black bucket isn't going to sell itself when parked next to a yellow and red bucket with established brand name. 

I'm surprised that Sno-Tek SS got floor space and the new Ariens SS doesn't. 

Personally, they should pull the Snotek SS off the market.  The Ariens is so much nicer.  See my observations below.
This message was modified Nov 1, 2013 by aa335
aa335

Reply #11   Nov 1, 2013 11:52 am
slinger wrote:
If anybody gets a chance to see one, please let us know how well it appears to be designed & built. I'm looking to replace my old green 5hp 4 cycle Craftsman SS and was going to go with the Toro 621QZE, but if this new (less $$$) Ariens looks promising, I may be tempted to buy my Ariens Platinum 2 stage a new baby brother.

I saw one at a local Ariens dealer.  Actually, I saw all the Ariens SS models, from the 136cc to 208cc.  It is a well built machine, no hollow rattles from the cowl.  (The Toro SS could use an improvement in this area! )  The Ariens cowl design is of made of a plastic material that is tough, strong, and able to absorb some vibrations without rattling.  It is securely screwed down to the chassis.  The hinged door on the cowl is nice too, allows access to the fuel cap and to see exactly down the engine and do some work on it if you need to.  There's a dampened quiet snap closure on the door.  I do like this door because it can be used to hose down the inside of the machine with water and dry with air compressor, great for cleaning it before putting away for the spring season.

The business end comprise of the bucket and the rubber auger.  The bucket is a mixture of steel and plastic.  The rotor/paddle assembly is solid.  It look so similar to the Toro that I can't tell it apart.  The metal construction is good quality, the flat metal belt cover discretely blends nicely to the side of the bucket.  The scraper bar is beefy, adjustable, but does not pivot.

The balance and maneuverability is perfect.  The weight of the engine is rightly balanced over the wheels and turns easily.  The handles larger diameter that are sturdy and the whole machine holds together solidly, on par with a Honda HS621.  The whole snowblower moves together with the handles without any flex or twists.  The bail lever has just the right amount of tension to activate the auger.  I do prefer the Ariens SS over the Toro SS for the bail tension (Toro is too light).  And then there are other machines which has ridiculously heavy bail tension that tires the wrist after 3 minutes.  Compared to a Toro SS, everything on the Ariens is more heavy duty, business like, not cute.  Surprising, the Ariens doesn't feel fat or heavy, in a good way.  Another surprising thing is both the 136cc and 208cc models have the about the same balance feel.   That means that the larger engine doesn't sacrifice the balance at all.  There's a nice kickstand to tilt the machine back and make oil change easier.

So there is a lot to like about the Ariens.  Now comes a FEW not so good things.  Only a few.  The remote chute rotator  is a major let down.  Personally, I don't like Ariens user interface.  It gets the job done, but couldn't it be a more friendly and not so raw and rough? 

The chute rotator lever is notchy, heavy, and flex a lot.  The detents are heavy and the lever flexes when you try to move it, requires hamfisted deliberation to get any action.  Actually, the whole snowblower moves with it.  If you changing the chute direction while moving, the hamfisted force required to do it could cause the snowblower to change course.  The lever for the chute rotator is short  and possibly could be 2 inches longer for more leverage and smoother movements.  I feel there should be finer detents for more smaller direction changes.  In addition, the lever seems is too small to grasp with thick winter gloves.  The lever could use refinement in the user ergonomics and comfort department.  It short and small lever feels like holding a screwdriver at the wrong end, especially when there's so much torque that it needs to operate.  Couldn't it be shaped to fit the hands and with some soft and grippy overmolds?  The deflector is the standard friction type.  Neither good or bad, but unexciting.  Both the rotator and deflector is not even close to the finesse of the Toro Quick Chute and the Zip Deflector. 

The rear of the Ariens engine hangs out and exposed.  There's a few screw heads and fasteners on the belt cover and the plastic cowl that could be hidden or painted to blend it better into the machine.  The Toro overall has nicer operation and more buttoned down appearance.  This may be a personal preference but if you like the engine exposed in front of your feet, the Ariens is the machine. 

To me, the appearance is just a minor quibble and I could get used to it.   Function before form.  There's enough good things about the Ariens SS that makes the other negatives tolerable.  Except for the chute rotation lever, that really needs an overhaul.

I think Ariens will likely hit a home run with this single stage.  I think it has all the positives of Honda and Toro, and previous Ariens SS pulled together in this latest design.  The price is competitive too.  Nice job Ariens and can't wait to see how it does in the real snow. 
This message was modified Nov 1, 2013 by aa335
slinger

Reply #12   Nov 2, 2013 8:24 pm
"The chute rotator lever is notchy, heavy, and flex a lot. The detents are heavy and the lever flexes when you try to move it, requires hamfisted deliberation to get any action. Actually, the whole snowblower moves with it. If you changing the chute direction while moving, the hamfisted force required to do it could cause the snowblower to change course. The lever for the chute rotator is short and possibly could be 2 inches longer for more leverage and smoother movements. I feel there should be finer detents for more smaller direction changes. In addition, the lever seems is too small to grasp with thick winter gloves. The lever could use refinement in the user ergonomics and comfort department. It short and small lever feels like holding a screwdriver at the wrong end, especially when there's so much torque that it needs to operate. Couldn't it be shaped to fit the hands and with some soft and grippy overmolds?"

I wonder why they went with this setup? Was the .5 Quick-Turn chute on the older Ariens 522EC a bad design? It looked very simple and easy to use.
aa335

Reply #13   Nov 2, 2013 8:29 pm
slinger wrote:
I wonder why they went with this setup? Was the .5 Quick-Turn chute on the older Ariens 522EC a bad design? It looked very simple and easy to use.

It was a robust design.  However, I prefer not having to reach below the handle bars to change the chute direction.
Snowmann

Reply #14   Nov 3, 2013 12:55 pm
The control force can be adjusted both at the control (by tightening a nut) and at the chute detent (3 position spring mount). It's possible the detent spring is set in the position for the manual chute control (more resistance at the chute). Easily corrected.
sparcx

Reply #15   Nov 8, 2013 11:01 am
aa335 wrote:
I saw one at a local Ariens dealer.  Actually, I saw all the Ariens SS models, from the 136cc to 208cc.  It is a well built machine, no hollow rattles from the cowl.  (The Toro SS could use an improvement in this area! )

<snip>

I think Ariens will likely hit a home run with this single stage.  I think it has all the positives of Honda and Toro, and previous Ariens SS pulled together in this latest design.  The price is competitive too.  Nice job Ariens and can't wait to see how it does in the real snow. 

great review.  If you ever get a chance to see how the new Toro 721 R-C stacks up against the Ariens please do.  Seems like it's a bit more heavy duty than the standard Toro single stage.
This message was modified Nov 8, 2013 by sparcx
aa335

Reply #16   Nov 8, 2013 11:51 am
sparcx wrote:
great review.  If you ever get a chance to see how the new Toro 721 R-C stacks up against the Ariens please do.  Seems like it's a bit more heavy duty than the standard Toro single stage.

One thing I can see that the Toro 721 is better already against the Ariens Path Pro is that the Toro is nearly 10 pounds lighter.  This is important to commercial snow clearing crews, as it is lighter to load and unload off a truck, easy and quick to move it around.  A very productive no nonsense snowblower.

If the Toro 721 QZ - C comes with the homeowner's conveniences like the Quick Chute and the Zip Deflector, this would be the winning combination.  The only thing against it will be price, definitely will be above the Ariens or any of the B&S single stage.  There's expressed interested in this model, and I hope Toro will phase it in their product line.

If Toro doesn't, one can always get these parts and put them on the 721.  It will be an expensive path though.
aa335

Reply #17   Nov 8, 2013 12:03 pm
Snowmann wrote:
The control force can be adjusted both at the control (by tightening a nut) and at the chute detent (3 position spring mount). It's possible the detent spring is set in the position for the manual chute control (more resistance at the chute). Easily corrected.

Agreed, it would improve on not having to hamfist the lever. 

However, I think the user interface and ergonomics could still be improved on.  Even other brands that does not enjoy Ariens legendary reputation has more friendly user interface.  Why not just take the extra step and get it done right!  I rather have a product that under promise and over deliver. 
sparcx

Reply #18   Nov 26, 2013 11:49 pm
Preliminary testing on the Ariens don't look so good compared to the competition. CR didn't like the stalling of the Ariens and recommended the Toro 621. I was already leaning towards Toro anyways because of their single stage reputation.  I imagine I'll pick up the new 721 which is probably  very similar to the 621.

Quote from CR

But the same Ariens that serves up such beefy, sturdy two-stage models also makes two 21-inch single-stage models that couldn’t cut it in our tests. The Ariens Pro Path 938033, $600, and Ariens Pro Path 938034 (shown above), $450 at Home Depot, both stalled repeatedly during use. The $600 model has a slightly larger engine and, when run with lots of care, stalled less often. But the two models were among the weakest at removing what municipal plows leave behind and had little throwing distance.

For about the same money, the 21-inch Toro Power Clear 621 38451, a CR Best Buy at $500, was impressive for quick clearing and chopping its way through plow piles.

This message was modified Nov 27, 2013 by a moderator
aa335

Reply #19   Nov 27, 2013 12:13 am
I don't usually trust CR reviews, and this time I think it's still bogus.  The only time I find CR credible is if they review salt and sugar.  If CR says it's white and tastes either salty or sweet, I'd believe them, otherwise no way.

I have two 160cc single stage snowblower and the engine is hard to stall.  The Ariens Path Pro has 208cc which CR states it stalls.  I find that hard to believe.

Maybe the Ariens wasn't designed to blow wet saw dust.  :)
Replies: 10 - 19 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42