Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HR214SX

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
blumonster

Honda HR214SX
Original Message   Aug 13, 2013 7:38 am
Hello, I have this Honda lawnmower. When I engage the lever to move the blade sometimes the engine stalls. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a problem? Is adjusting the height low causing this?
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
robertcoats

Re: Honda HR214SX
Reply #1   Aug 15, 2013 8:56 am
blumonster wrote:
Hello, I have this Honda lawnmower. When I engage the lever to move the blade sometimes the engine stalls. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a problem? Is adjusting the height low causing this?

If the deck is too low and the grass is too tall, the yes, it could be too much load for the blades/engine to handle.

Raise the mower deck a few positions.
Be sure the throttle is always in the FAST position when mowing and engaging the blades.
Engage the blades when NOT in the grass, then drive it slowly into the grass.
The mower has a 21" blade, but try cutting about half that if the grass is really tall or thick.

If your grass is short already, and you don't think the engine stalling is normal, it's possible the clutch is worn or the engine is running too slow. A Honda dealer can use a tachometer to verify the engine speed and determine if the clutch is working properly.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
This message was modified Aug 18, 2013 by a moderator
blumonster

Reply #2   May 6, 2014 10:50 pm
Thank you for your reply.
Shryp

Reply #3   May 11, 2014 10:20 am
Robert is right about the grass might be too high and you should engage the blades before you get to the grass. However, you might cause less belt / clutch wear if you engage the blades with a lower throttle setting and then throttle up once the blades are spinning.
blumonster

Reply #4   May 11, 2014 9:11 pm
I started the lawnmower for the first time this year. Adjusted the height, no more stalling. But the throttle/choke handle did not want to move at all. Took me 10 minutes to finally move it. I have the manual also, did not remember anything I needed to do before moving it. Must have stuck somehow. Old machine but works, best of all it has an aluminum deck.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42