Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD/Yard Machines Snowthrower won't free roll

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
scannerman96

MTD/Yard Machines Snowthrower won't free roll
Original Message   Apr 30, 2013 9:50 am
Hey all,

New to the list.  I have an MTD/YardMachines 31ae6fff700 that won't come out of gear and free roll.  Seems to be locked up!  Tried adjusting drive cable, but no good.  Plus it seems to be a little tight!.  All pulleys seem to be moving freely, but like the axle is locked up!  Any suggestions!  Runs fine, just won't free roll.

Also does anyone have a manual.  I think someone on here said they got mtd to email them a service manual for free?

Thanks,
shawn
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
ajallen

Re: MTD/Yard Machines Snowthrower won't free roll
Reply #1   Apr 30, 2013 10:58 am
Need the serial number to know the year of manufacture. If it is a 2005 model there is a gear set on the friction wheel shaft that the bearing is dry & needs to be lubed. You might be able to oil it & work it back & forth until the oil works it's way in. But removal of the shaft & proper lubing is in order.
longboat

Reply #2   May 1, 2013 9:22 am
Does it have the finger-trigger free-wheeling?  If so, one of the planetary gearsets on the axle may be locked up.  I had this happen to my Mtd (Craftsman) blower when it was 3 years old, gearset was locked up tight and corroded, although other one was like new.  New gearset is over $300 from Sears or online, but if you're relatively handy, you can get the offending parts/pieces for around $50 and fix it yourself.
trouts2

Reply #3   May 3, 2013 9:22 pm
Owners and parts manual.  Probably a 2004, no triggers.  This is a basic MTD friction disk drive. 
http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/GetFile.do?filename=769-01275b.pdf

The problem could be a few things but the easiest thing to do for quick results is tip the machine on it's bucket and open up the bottom cover.  Turn the wheels with your hands and watch what happens with shaft the wheels are on.   There may be a nest jaming the gears.  Whatever it is it should be obvious.

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42