Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens deluxe 28 gear case oil level

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Cuchillo

Ariens deluxe 28 gear case oil level
Original Message   Mar 7, 2013 10:59 pm
I just received a new Ariens 28" deluxe model snow thrower with a 250cc engine. During assembly I checked the auger gear case oil level. It was 3.25 in. below the flat surface of the inspection cover. According to the owner/operator manual, it should not be lower than 2.63 in.  

I sent Ariens an inquiry and received a reply that they would send more oil, but they didn't acknowledge that the fluid level was low.  Their email reply was worded poorly and read like someone from the mideast wrote it (if you know what I mean).

Below is text copied from page 26 of my owner/operator manual regarding the auger gear case oil level;

1. Remove filler plug and seal washer
(Figure 28). Lubricant must be 2.38 in. –
2.63 in. (6.05 cm – 6.68 cm) from the flat
surface of the inspection cover.

Has anyone else had to add fluid to a new Ariens unit?  I figured I'd bounce this off the guys in this forum to see what you thought.  Maybe I'm overkilling this, but I wanted to get the opinion of people who know.  This is my first 2 stage self-propelled blower.

The recommended oil is Ariens L3.  Is that similar to a synthetic GL-5 oil?  I have some of that on hand at the house.

Thanks much,

JW

I'd rather be fishing!
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Snowmann

Re: Ariens deluxe 28 gear case oil level
Reply #1   Mar 8, 2013 9:24 pm
L3 isn't simple GL5 synthetic oil. You should wait for the good stuff. Also, put some cardboard under your gear case and make sure it isn't leaking.
This message was modified Mar 8, 2013 by Snowmann
Cuchillo

Re: Ariens deluxe 28 gear case oil level
Reply #2   Mar 9, 2013 7:32 am
Snowmann wrote:
L3 isn't simple GL5 synthetic oil. You should wait for the good stuff. Also, put some cardboard under your gear case and make sure it isn't leaking.

OK, will do.

Thanks

I'd rather be fishing!
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42