Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What to use in a chute to prevent clogging?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Axis

What to use in a chute to prevent clogging?
Original Message   Mar 4, 2013 10:31 am
Using a circa 1968 Ariens.  The inner part of the chute, especially at the angle, is a rusty and heavily dimpled area. 

What's good to coat the inner part of the chute with so snow, especially slushy EOD snow, won't stick to and clog it.   Am I better off using a really slippery high gloss paint first, just coating the rust with silicone... what's a good prep and finish?

I've read of after market impeller kits that'll throw snow a great distance and imagine that'd help, but that's a lot to add to this old guy.

Thanks.
This message was modified Mar 4, 2013 by Axis
Replies: 4 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Bill_H

Re: What to use in a chute to prevent clogging?
Reply #4   Mar 7, 2013 12:21 am
First, get rid of all the rust. Wire brush or sandblast it down to bare metal and treat with a phosphoric acid rust treatment. If you are going to line the chute, prime and paint it well so you don't get rust forming under the liner. Then install your liner.

If you're just painting, it's important to get the surface very smooth, If it's not pitted badly, a few coats of high fill primer should do it. If it's pitted it needs to be filled. First use rust treatment then fill it. Bondo chips easily, I've had luck using PC-7 epoxy; I think JB Weld will be about the same. Mix it up, smear it on and smooth it with a metal putty knife. It's too thick for a plastic spatula like you would use with body filler. Get it as smooth as you can, it's a $#%* to sand later.
Sand smooth, prime, paint. Get the topcoat as smooth and glossy as you can.

Pam cooking spray works well at stopping anything from sticking if sprayed on before each use. But keep the can inside - I learned the hard way it won't spray well below freezing.
Spray can silicone appears to work even better and last longer but it's much more expensive. I've tried spray on graphite coating but it doesn't help as much as the others and costs more and it's very messy.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
FrankMA

Reply #5   Mar 7, 2013 8:34 am
Bill_H wrote:
First, get rid of all the rust. Wire brush or sandblast it down to bare metal and treat with a phosphoric acid rust treatment. If you are going to line the chute, prime and paint it well so you don't get rust forming under the liner. Then install your liner.

If you're just painting, it's important to get the surface very smooth, If it's not pitted badly, a few coats of high fill primer should do it. If it's pitted it needs to be filled. First use rust treatment then fill it. Bondo chips easily, I've had luck using PC-7 epoxy; I think JB Weld will be about the same. Mix it up, smear it on and smooth it with a metal putty knife. It's too thick for a plastic spatula like you would use with body filler. Get it as smooth as you can, it's a $#%* to sand later.
Sand smooth, prime, paint. Get the topcoat as smooth and glossy as you can.

Pam cooking spray works well at stopping anything from sticking if sprayed on before each use. But keep the can inside - I learned the hard way it won't spray well below freezing.
Spray can silicone appears to work even better and last longer but it's much more expensive. I've tried spray on graphite coating but it doesn't help as much as the others and costs more and it's very messy.

A few years ago (whenever it first came out) I started using WD-40 with the wide spray nozzle tip and it works great. The wide spray nozzle covers a lot of area quickly and the WD-40 displaces water and snow build up while also providing a rust preventative coating in the chute and bucket area.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Axis

Reply #6   Mar 20, 2013 2:58 pm
JB Weld!

It can be thinned with acetone or lacquer thinner, and I've found an unneeded credit card to be the perfect applicator.  I'll go that route, and then do a few coats of some leftover high gloss marine epoxy paint. 

Thanks for the great idea.  The wife will be happy that I'm not using anything from the kitchen on this one.
This message was modified Mar 20, 2013 by Axis
Bill_H

Reply #7   Mar 20, 2013 8:07 pm
I used the putty, not the liquid in tubes. I would be afraid the liquid would run before it set up.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 4 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42